Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC WONT TURN ON

• Please log in to reply

boblasek

boblasek

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well i thought i was finished building my PC........... BUt when i went to turn it on Nothing. The cpu fan turn about once and then nothing else. Does anyone know whats wrong? I have a K600 Motherboard with a Sempron 3000+ cpu 512 400mhz memory and a 80gig sata hd. I also bought a 9200se radeon graphicd card. I followed all the instructions on installing everything including all the wires that go to the mother board.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Make sure all jumpers are set correctly
Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on the mobo (motherboard)
Clear the cmos, unplug and the move the cmos jumper to pins 2&3 for 5 minutes then make sure you return the jumper to pin 1&2.

Post back your results and we will move on.

Rick

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
make sure the mobo isn't touching the back of the case aka.. make sure you're using studs or spacers. and.. double check the connections..

boblasek

boblasek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks guys for all the help. I took it to my works computer dude and he thinks it might be the Power source. Im not to sure cuz he works on video games not pc's. I will get i tomorrow and i will definately try what you guys said.

I did not put spacers behind the mobo, could this be causing it to ground out? If so could i have caused any damage? Again Thanks a lot. I will post up what happens when i get it back.

Rick M

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Nope I think I might have it

I helped my friend build his comp and it wouldn't start. I spent hours checking why. I unplugged everything, checked the jumpers, reseeded the CPU...I mean everything. Then, he figured it out. It was the power supply. It wasn't bad because it was brand new. The switch on the back of the PS was set to like 320. It had to be at the next setting because the comp needed more power in order to boot. That little red tab on the back of the comp. Switch that up, then try it. It might be it. If you've tried everything else, it's either that or a faulty power supply. Let me know what happens

David

boblasek

boblasek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well my power supply cam with the case which is brand new. I have only had it for a month. THe power switch only goes from 115 to 230 i believe. And i tried doing that already. I am getting it back today and i will look at it and see whats up.

RIck M

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
It was just a thought.

I know that it was thr problem when all other problems were resolved through basic troubleshooting. Anyway, one last thing, did you check jumper setttings on possibly your graphics card or something. That could do it. Another biggie is that your ram might not be supported by your mobo. Some mobo's don't support generic brand ram. Does your procesor have proper cooling? One last thing, did you make sure everything was seeded. If you have a pci card or a agp card that's not seeded right or properly locked down...You wouldn't see anything. But really it wouldn't make sense because your comp should at least turn on. When in doubt, do basic troubleshooting. Remove all the unneccessary items (such as the sound card, HD, Floopy) and try to boot. To run the comp, all you need is the Mobo, Ram and a power source. If your comp turns on, turn it back off and one by one add parts. Through the process of elimination you'll be able to tell if you have a short or not. If it doesn't turn on after you remove all the excess...Then its either the ram, power supply, cpu or mobo. If I had to make a bet, I would say that the ram isn't supported. Do that and let me know what happens. Just for kicks, your not getting any light or beep sequences are you? Let me know what happens.

David Broadwater

boblasek

boblasek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well i am typing this message from my newly put together PC. This is what i did:

I put the spacers behind the MOBO and then i tapped the power source, put it back together and then BAM!!! It worked. THanks Chumara for the spacer advice. I know now that was the problem. And to think i almost spent $70 to see if FRYS could fix it. Thanks for all the help guys, i know i will be on this forum alot mor now.

RIck M

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
k

That was pretty wierd but if it works, what can I say. I'll keep that in mind for my secret comp building tricks just in case something goes wrong on my next build. Glad to here it works though. :-) Anyway, you know what they say...When building a computer, you have a 50/50 chance of it working. Otherwise tear down and rebuild.

david

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ur lucky. I forgot to put spacers as well since it was my first build. the only difference, I actually put the mobo on the pc while it was on to figure out what was happening. not a good idea. when the screw dropped on the mobo, bam...sparks. luckily, asus fixed it wit me only payin for shipping. a valuable lesson indeed.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Ouch...Sounds painfull. I built my first system and didn't connect the usb correctly. Have u every smelled burnt silicone. Not the best smell in the world trust me. When your building your own comp (which really helps you gain exp. in computers) double and triple check your connections before you flick the switch. K.

david