Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dying motherboard/video card?

• Please log in to reply

gone4ever1

gone4ever1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I only have a few minutes before my computer will have a connection error to this site any many other sites. I have an Nvidia 7600 GS video card and a P4 processor with 2 gb of ram. A few days ago, while I was playing TF2, my screen had fuzzy straight lines going across the screen and it would temporarily freeze the game. It has recently gone worse. Every time I scroll down at 1280 x 1024, the screen will become fuzzier and fuzzier until the screen freezes and goes black and kinda resets back to a fuzzy screen. At 800 x 600, its still fuzzy but the screen doesn't freeze. Also, there have been connection time outs to many sites except for my UC Davis login site. I am able to login to my UC Davis account but can't really load any other sites like CNN. I found a trojan using Trend Micro but doubt that would affect my comp that much. The weather here has gotten hotter and I have had my computer cover removed for about 2 months for more ventilation. I used the onboard and PCI ethernet insert and both had the same result of connection time outs after 7 minutes or so after restarting the computer. Any thoughts? Thanks. Also, now I am currently running with no drivers for the video card which is allowing me to do this work. I had used the most recent and a very old driver for my video card with the same result. When I attempted to upgrade Windows Xp Pro to Windows Xp Pro, it gave me an installation error of cannot install a218kbq1.sys. A second time of trying to upgrade it using my Xp Pro cd, it gave me an install error of ano384gh.sys. Also, I am able to play Starcraft with the drivers with no problem. My internet is supplied by UC Davis.

Edited by gone4ever1, 15 April 2008 - 02:46 AM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Is the fan working on your video card, in fact are all the fans working? Something you can do that may temporarily help is open the case and put a small room type fan next to it to keep things cool. You also need to make sure that there is good thermal contact between the heat sinks and the CPU and GPU processors.

It definitely sounds like a heat problem and I know it gets hot where you are. It might also be a power supply problem, but I would first look at all the fans, including the power supply.

gone4ever1

gone4ever1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
All of the fans appear to be working. The connection times out in the browser after 10 minutes after restarting my computer but I am able to access AIM, update Spybot and Adaware. But some functions like being able to see people's away messages are not working. Also, I found a win32.trojan.