Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME/ Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

wmg2005

wmg2005

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=orange]I am trying to overwrite my current windows. I was told by a technician that I could not do an upgrade, but I could overwrite windows ME by changing my set-up to load from the cd drive, start the computer with the windows 2000 cd and let the computer begin the install. ;)

I did this and everything was going great until the very end, the system said please wait, which I did for a few minutes, then a pop-up screen came on and said cannot find a previous version of windows and listed all windows operating systems except ME. It ask me to put my windows cd in the drive and press windows so it could make sure I was able to upgrade to windows 2000. When I put my cd that came with the computer in the cd drive the keyboard stopped functioning :tazz: and I could not hit the enter key so the cd could be read. I tried this 4 times and each time I came to a stop at this point.

I am confused about being asked if I have the right windows to upgrade, I am not trying to upgrade, I was told I couldn't. I am just trying to boot from windows 2000 and overwrite windows ME.

I have talked to my technician and he does not know why this happened. Can you help?

I am not an expert, but I am also not a neophite so I can understand some computer lingo.

Thank You

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Are you using a full install Win2000 cd or an upgrade version (should say on the cd)??

Murray

wmg2005

wmg2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This is a full install windows 2000 cd.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Strange.. It is acting like an upgrade cd.. This isn't an OEM version made for a specific system like a Dell, HP, Compaq, etc??

Is there anything on the hdd you want to keep??

Murray

wmg2005

wmg2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No I do not need to keep anything on the hdd.
I talked to the technician that gave me the copy of this cd and he swears it is not an upgrade.
I agree it acts like an upgrade version from another pc.
So let's assume it is, can I still somwhow delete windows ME and add windows 2000?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]

No I do not need to keep anything on the hdd.
I talked to the technician that gave me the copy of this cd and he swears it is not an upgrade.

View Post

This Win2000 you are using is NOT an original Microsoft cd, just a burnt copy?? No wonder it is acting like an update version!!

Murray

wmg2005

wmg2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I just read this from the readme files and I will give it a try. If this does not work then I will get the original cd from the technician. He burned this copy and said it would work, he uses burned copies on all of our pc's at work.

To install a new copy using the CD
1. Start your computer by running your current operating system,
and then insert the Windows 2000 Professional CD into your
CD-ROM drive.
2. If Windows automatically detects the CD, click Install
Windows 2000. Setup starts.

Hopefully this method will work since I was not able to boot from the 2000 cd.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Good luck.. Normally a non-booting Win2000 (an OS that is self-booting) usually means a burnt, copied or pirated version..

If that's the case, you are on your own as software piracy is not condoned or supported here..

Get the original genuine Win2000 disk and use that..

Murray