Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP automatic update problems

• Please log in to reply

Handyann

Handyann

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all,

Last Thursday, my laptop installed an auto update from Windows and nothing has been right since.

Just after the update, the computer was running mega slowly, programs - particularly those with graphics - were jerky and sound was choppy.

I eventually performed a system restore to the previous Sunday and things seemed ok again, until I tried to run an often-used and always ok application, which came up with an '...encountered a problem and had to close' message, although it hadn't actually started. The documentation with it says it uses Microsoft.net Framework and to update that if problems occur. I tried but M.net won't either repair or uninstall without the original disc or whatever. I don't have a disc or whatever for M.net - I imagine it must have been installed originally in the factory.

I couldn't figure out if it was the update which caused the app problem or the system restore which did it?

Having just moved house, I of course haven't a clue where the boot disc I made originally is :) and I wondered if someone could please help me out of this mess - the computer that is, not the house!!

Many thanks
Handyann

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Try running Microsoft update.
There are updates in the 'custom' section for .net framework.

All Programs, Windows update.
Choose custom and see if there are extra updates for .net framework in 'optional software'.

Handyann

Handyann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for that, cmpm.

I have just this minute managed to sort it out, in perhaps a bit more of a roundabout way.

I downloaded Windows Installer Clean Up and ran it to remove .Net, then downloaded and re-installed .Net 2.0. This didn't work on its own, but also downloading and installing .Net 2.0 Service Pack 1 did work and my app now runs as before.

It was all a shot in the dark really, but I was lucky. Oh, and I've turned off the automatic updates!!

Many thanks again for your help,

Handyann

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Cool, glad you got it working.