Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network problem

• Please log in to reply

drakken

drakken

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hello people,

I have three desktop computers. Two are connected to a D-Link DSL G604T by cable and one connected through wireless. I don't know how to check what type of wireless card I have.

The problem is that the wireless computer has a very noticeable Internet speed difference to the other computer. I was told that being wireless shouldn't change the speed.

If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be awesome. I'll pass on any info you need. I've left the settings on both the card and modem as default.

Thanks

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Drakken
Wireless is slower then wired - on average 50% slower.
Wired is normally 100mbps.
Depending on what the rating of your wireless router is and what band it is using 802.11b or g or n
will govern the speed. Even if you have a router that is 108mbps rated at best you might get 54mbps.
The 108 is only what you will get under lab conditions.
Cheers
peterm

drakken

drakken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks peterm for the reply.

Is there a manual on here to get the best out of your modem or is someone savvy with the D-Link DSL G604T?

Even on the wired computers, the broadband doesn't seem to be as fast as it should. Not as fast as I've seen on other computers on the same broadband connection.

Edited by drakken, 15 April 2008 - 06:06 PM.