Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! How to Restore C: Drive

• Please log in to reply

pwncastle

pwncastle

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Few days ago, my laptop encountered Unmountable_Boot_Volume problem with the
following error details: 0x000000ED (0x81A5F6F8, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000),
in which resulted to failure in booting up Windows or going to Safe Mode.

However, I've managed to boot up using UBCD4Win CD and run some diagnostic tests that
came with it. I used HDTest to check the entire HD and the result showed 0% damage in the
whole HD. But when I ran Bart's Stuff Test on C:\ an error appears:
data error "'Cyclic Redundancy Check', getVolSize() on device failed."

I've also tried running chkdsk /r on C:\ in the recovery console but still returns errors,
saying that the "Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems".

On the xplorer2, I could normally browse the files on the ramdisk (B:\) and D:\ drives
except C:\. All drives are shown but C:\ does not reveal disk details (size, type, etc).
When I would right-click C:\ to view the properties, it would say that it is not formatted
and would prompt me to format the drive.

The only way I could browse C:\ is through FileRecovery, where it shows C:\ containing
about 40GB, FAT32, bootable disk. I found copying the files possible, but I would need
a large storage space to transfer everything into.

By the way, I know C:\ and D:\ (partition?) belong to the same HD, but I wonder
why only C:\ has the problem.

Is there any way I could restore my harddrive without erasing the files and programs?
Btw, my laptop is a Compaq Presario R3000.

I really would appreciate all the help you can give.
Thanks very much in advance.

Pawn

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first backup all your data...you can remove the drive and slave it to a working system to do this...
if the drive has errors that it cant correct ...then the drive is probably on its way out..but
it may be a bad cable...and because its a laptop you should take it to a local shop
you can try to repair xp first ..instructions are here...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Repairing XP on a drive that's dying is pointless because you can guarantee that it's going to go the same way again and then it'll eventually pack up altogether. You'd be far better off replacing the drive now and using an external drive or a USB cable adaptor to get any important documents back.

pwncastle

pwncastle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have already started transferring important files from C
before trying to repair XP as suggested by happyrck... Well, it's taking awhile..

As I can remember, my laptop crashed after an unsuccessful installation of iTunes + Apple
updates.. Prior to that, I also remember seeing a warning during POST that Autocheck.exe
was missing..

I don't know how to depict a dying harddrive as Neil Jones was saying. Hope mine's not
due yet... but still, I'm taking both of your advices to transfer all the files to a safe storage.

I'll keep you posted to whatever springs up as I proceed.

Thanks,
Pawn

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried booting into safe mode...if you can ...try Last known good configuration

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
IF you are fighting a possible "failed" drive, I strongly recommend SpinRite from http://grc.com/
It does cost, but I think it is worth it. Ultimately it comes down to how much your data is worth to you.

Otherwise continue on the path you are on.

pwncastle

pwncastle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
happyrck,
After my laptop had crashed, I couldn't boot into safe mode, or start windows on its
last known good configuration, or boot through Windows XP CD. The only way I could
go through the recovery console is booting through UBCD4Win CD, where my
Windows XP installer has been burnt with the UBCD image.

Another thing, I've already finished transferring (well, not all of) my important files
and tried XP repair as per your advice but it couldn't proceed since it said that EULA
is somehow missing... I don't know how to proceed then, seeking for another advice
from you.

starjax,
Luckily, a friend of mine has a spinRite v6.0 CD and I managed to forcibly borrow it
from him last night (hahaha). I opted Level 2 to work on C: to start with, however,
after about 3hours, it has read only about 150MB of the partition.. Kinda slow, don't you
think? Well, I just decided to interrupt the activity last night and went to bed. Currently,
I'm repeating the process.. Any advise on how to proceed or deal with settings, maybe?

I appreciated both of your help. I'll await your responses.

Cheers,
Pawn

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
option 2 is very through. I would have let it run overnight while you slept. You could have run option 4, but I would recommend staying the course with option 2. Depending on the condition of the drive, it could take some time to complete.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
about that Eula missing message... that indicates that "this" is an illegal or pirated copy of Windows...
now because its a laptop we know they all come with windows installed and unless its a stolen laptop there is no need to put a different copy of windows on it...I never hit this problem before..

The cyclic redundancy check or "CRC" error indicates a bad spot on your hard drive...
after you get all your data backed up...run chkdsk /f/r and then I would try the repair option again...follow the steps
EXACTLY...
you may have to replace the drive and reinstall everything...

Edited by happyrck, 18 April 2008 - 10:32 AM.

pwncastle

pwncastle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

The spinRite has managed to recover a significant portion of the HD after running
overnight and after that, I've successfully run chkdsk /r booting through my Windows XP CD...
I can now boot normally, however my Tune Up utilities has been damaged. Anyway, I'll try
to get support online for that software later. I'm working offline as of the moment and
still trying to check other programs in the drive if they are working alright.

I already have re-run some diagnostic softwares from UBCD and defragged the
partitions but at this point, I still would like to know if there's still anything else that I've
missed to check or perform. Need I perform follow-up tasks with spinRite or check
MS settings, I don't know... How to check if the real problem is gone; how about the
CRC problem, or (deal with) the bad spot?

By the way, happyrck and starjax, your advices have been tremendous.
I'm thanking you both for that.

Awaiting further.

Regards,
Pawn

Edited by pwncastle, 20 April 2008 - 05:39 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we are gaining ground if you can boot normally ... :)
what Tune Up utilities are you speaking of...
remember this hard drive is suspect now...so stay on top of your data backups...

go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...

pwncastle

pwncastle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
After following your most recent instructions, I think my laptop's been up and running
as per normal. Also, after running SpinRite at Level 5, all previously damaged spots
in the drive have been restored and are now reusable, it said. Anyway, I have all my
needed files secured in another storage just in case if anything goes wrong again,
hopefully not.

Ccleaner and Diskeeper are also very useful tools. I keep the diskeeper lite running
once in awhile.

Again, thanks for all your help, guys!
Good luck and keep moving forward, geekstogo! :)

Regards,
Pawn

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...
remember...data that you don't have at least 2 copies of is data you really don't care about
also check your backups periodically...

pwncastle

pwncastle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Will do. Thanks again.

Regards,
Pawn

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I keep the diskeeper lite running once in awhile.

unless you buy the paid version...run diskeeper by itself