Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Converting XP 64 bit to 32 bit

• Please log in to reply

CatM

CatM

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had Vista 64 bit and that was hugely incompatible with my programs. I ended up changing back to XP, but the people who did it, used the 64 bit version to try to keep the computer running at full capacity. That was even more incompatible....then I ran RegCURE and totallly killed it. I want to go back to the 32 bit version, but want to do it myself.

Do I need software to fully wipe my old HD? Do I need to rip off the 64 bit before installing the 32? How do I do that How do I install the 32? Do I just run the setup with the disk in the system?

This is my work computer, so I'm a little desperate. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! If this seems like something that would be out of my league, I can have someone in, I'd just prefer to learn. I spend too much on computer techs, but more than that, I don't want to always be at their mercy :)

Thank you very much,
Cat

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

If you have purchased a retail copy of Vista then the DVD should include both 32bit and 64bit versions of the OS. If you did not and you are looking to switch to XP 32bit you will need a key if you do not already have one as well as the installation disks.

Windows XP OEM copy: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116400

It is pricey. You can get Vista Premium Edition for cheaper if that will work in your case.

You will need to back up all your files and reformat the hard drive. The Windows installer is fairly self explanatory. You will get to a step where it asks you where/what partition to install the OS on. At this point you will delete the partition that the current OS is on (partitions that don't have an OS can stay). Then you can repartition the hard drive however you want.

When it asks to you to format the drive select NTFS (quick).

The installer will guide you threw the remaining steps in the installation.

Good Luck.