Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my network wont assign my LAN connection an IP address

• Please log in to reply

blackviper

blackviper

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey GTG hope you can help me :)

right

all this is so i can connect to xbox live.
i used to connect my xbox to my DSL modem/router via cable but i dont have that cable any more because i have my router downstairs and my xbox upstairs, so i am forced to use my laptop to provide my xbox with the internet via ICS, so ive plugged my ethernet cable from my laptop to my xbox but when i enable my LAN connection it gives this message "you might not be able access the internet or some network resources. this problem is occured because the network did not assign a network address to this computer". now both my LAN connction and my wireless connection are set to obtain their IP addres automaticaly so i assumed it should have worked but no it did not. so i beg for your help.

these are my settings they should be some use to you as ive read through other posts and you ask for them.

ISP: sky broadband
internet type: ADSL

windows IP configuration:
host name: jay
primary DNS suffix:
node type: hybrid
ip routing enabled: no
WINS proxy enabled: no

ethernet adapter wreless network connection:

connection-specific DNS suffix:
description: intel pro/wireless 3945ABG network connection
network connection
physical address: 00-18-DE-A7-AB-62
DHCP enabled: yes
autoconfiguration enabled: yes
IP address: 192.168.0.2
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.0.1
DHCP server: 192.168.0.1
DNS servers: 192.168.0.1
lease obtained: 15 april 2008 23.22.22
lease expires: 18 april 2008 23.22.22

ethernet adapter local area connection:

connection specific DNS suffix:
description: intel pro/100 VE network connection

physical address: 00-A0-D1-5D-89-A4
DHCP enabled: yes
autocongfiguration enabled: yes
autoconfiguration IP address: 169.254.149.78
subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
default gateway:

i realy do hope you guys can sort this for my because on my last nerve ive tried everything (i think) playing with IP addresses for both connections, turning stuff off an on but to no avail doesnt work.

thanks for helping
blackviper

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Lets renew your connection to the gateway.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /release".
  • After it is done releasing. Type in: "ipconfig /renew".
  • This should renew your connection with your gateway.

Regards,
Olrik

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
uh....ok so you're connected to your router wirelessly on the laptop...then you have a cable plugged from the LAN NIC directly to the XBOX? and you're trying to use ICS to bridge the XBOX LAN to the wireless connection on the laptop right?

that's pretty much why this isn't working

#1 your XBOX doesn't have a DHCP server so your LAN connection can't obtain an IP address and neither can the XBOX.

#2 unless i'm horribly mistaken...you cannot connect an XBOX directly to the NIC of another computer with a straight through cable...you'd need to use a crossover cable

so...your options would be:

#1 get a crossover cable to hook the XBOX to the laptop, then assign a static ip address on both the LAN port of your laptop and your XBOX

#2. (would be easier) get a wireless adapter for your XBOX

blackviper

blackviper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ive already done the release and renew thing before it did'nt help but thanks for replying.

yes im using a cross over cable and yes that is the setup im using, it should work because i used to do this for my playstation 2 and it worked fine.
ive tried putting static ip adresses on both my xbox and my LAN connection but when i do my i cant get onto the internet even though my connection says my wireless is fine.

i dont realy want to buy a wirless xbox adapter because ive heard that they arent that good by my friends who took them back because all there games lagged too much with it.

thanks more help is much appreciated
black viper

Edited by blackviper, 16 April 2008 - 10:14 AM.

blackviper

blackviper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
should i take this as no one knos how to help me?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
would not know what an xbox was if I tripped over one. However
when you look at your ipconfig the lan card is showing dhcp and a 169 address.
can you change the lan to static ip address and put in
ip - 192.168.0.5
sub - 255.255.255.0
gate 192.168.0.1
then on xbox change to static
ip 192.168.0.6
sub 255.255.255.0
gat 192.168.0.1
reboot both
what happens
also have you checked this
# Open the Network Connections window (Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections). Here, you should have at least two connections listed: one for your Internet Connection, and one for the Ethernet adapter connected to your Local Area Network (LAN).
# Right-click the connection icon corresponding to your Internet Connection and select Properties.
# Choose the Advanced tab, and turn on the Allow other network users to connect through this computers Internet connection option. Click OK when you're done.
# Verify that Internet Connection Sharing is enabled; it should say Enabled, Shared in the Network Connections window.
cheers
peterm

Edited by peterm, 18 April 2008 - 07:48 PM.

blackviper

blackviper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for your help but ive solved it now :) finaly
my router was using 192.168.0.1 for an ip address but wen i went to share my internet connection my lan would keep trying to take it so i changed my router ip address in my routers settings and then changed what ip addresses my router assings to my computersand let my lan have 192.168.0.1 and now it works :)

thanks for the help

blackviper

Peugeot107

Peugeot107

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Right Iam having the Same problem apart from mines slightly diffrent i hav been playing on my xbox 36 for some time now and it's worked fine for me. when i turned it on this morning it says my IP adress has failed its linked up to my computer to get the internet signal and now it has just gone wrong i have tried all the possible things to do some one please help me

Thanks Jerry

x
x
:)