Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help! windows doesnt work, black screen and mouse!

• Please log in to reply

chill11

chill11

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
my toshiba laptop that is running windows xp media center service pack 2 had some spyware on it. i got rid of most of it but there were still somethings wrong with it. I re-installed windows and after i did i rebooted it and everything was black exept for the mouse which i can move. when i start the computer the toshiba loading comes up and then the windows xp loading screen but no login screen.

i really need my computer to do things for school and am hoping to get it fixed as fast as possible.

thanks.

Will

Edited by chill11, 15 April 2008 - 09:20 PM.

Advertisements

Robert W.

Robert W.

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

my toshiba laptop that is running windows xp media center service pack 2 had some spyware on it. i got rid of most of it but there were still somethings wrong with it. I re-installed windows and after i did i rebooted it and everything was black exept for the mouse which i can move. when i start the computer the toshiba loading comes up and then the windows xp loading screen but no login screen.

i really need my computer to do things for school and am hoping to get it fixed as fast as possible.

thanks.

Will

Try reinstalling

chill11

chill11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've tried to but it wont show what pops up so i can't tell what i'm doing if i reinstalled it

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How did you reinstall windows? Did you use the recovery CD that came with your computer or a retail version of XP? If thelatter, then the drivers for your hardware are not installed.

Press F8 when you start to boot. That should give you the Boot selection screen. Chose VGA mode and see if that makes a difference. Once you can see what you're doing, you will need to install the drivers for your laptop hardware, especially video, network, modem, audio and chipset.

chill11

chill11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i used a version that was in windows in an folder i386 and just used that so it might just be the recovery.
I don't know that many things about random folders and things about windows

VGA mode didn't help it still just shows the mouse and nothing else.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't think you have a valid install of XP. DId you try F11 and F12 at boot, to see if that starts the built in recovery process?

What is the make and model of your computer?

Did you get an owners manual with it?

chill11

chill11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
F12 brings up a boot screen choice and F11 doesn't seem to do anything.
I have a Toshiba Satellite it doesnt say anywhere on it and i cant remember. but all the books for it say A100/A105 series

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Need to know the exact model number as there area quite a few A100 and A105 models. It should be listed on a label on the bottom of the computer. Something like A100-S2211TD or A105-S101.

chill11

chill11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
oh i found it, i never knew it was there.
A105-S4014 system unit

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Found the Users Guide but it does not say anything about how you restore the computer to factory default.

Can you get a full XP CD and try the install again? If not, contact Toshiba and see if you can buy a recovery CD for your model. Should be a lot cheaper than buying a copy of XP.

Edited by Ztruker, 16 April 2008 - 08:47 PM.

Advertisements

chill11

chill11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I just found a recovery CD and was just about to ask if i should try it to see if it works

chill11

chill11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The CD wont show up, everything just stays black

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to put the CD in the drive, then boot the computer. Press F11 to get to the Boot menu and select the CD drive. Recovery should start from there.

chill11

chill11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
it asks for me to choose one of the following.
Recovery of Factory Default Software- recover to out-of box state
Erase the Hard Disk- Delete all the data and partitions from your hard drive

the first one right?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, that is the "non-destructive" or Repair process. It should leave all your data intact and just reinstall XP and drivers.

I think you should backup your data before doing anything else though.