Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS won't recognize monitor

• Please log in to reply

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
When I initially built my computer I had my old 15" CRT connected. Everything installed and ran fine. A few weeks later I purchased a 19" ACER flatscreen which I am now using. The problem I am having is that the BIOS won't recognize the new monitor on startup. I'm running Vista and once it loads then the monitor works fine, but from power-on until the login screen I'm not getting a signal to the monitor. When I hook up the old monitor the POST and BIOS screens display just fine.

How do I get the BIOS to recognize the new monitor from power-on? Is it a BIOS setting, or a problem with my video card (Radeon 3850)? It's not a crippling issue, but it is annoying to have to plug in my old monitor everytime I want to make a change in the BIOS. I've tried clearing the CMOS several times to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm running the most current version of the BIOS.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There are basically two things you can do, get the latest BIOS for your board and hope it corrects the problem, or keep an old monitor around just in case you need to get into the BIOS for any reason.