Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware Blaster Quirk

• Please log in to reply

kristi6

kristi6

• Pip
  • 9 posts
So, anyone know why Spyware Blaster occassionally loses protection?

What I mean is, when I check for updates, sometimes I find that <and I am making the exact numbers up> 83 items out of 337 have protection disabled.

I always re-enable protection. And all is good for two or three months and then some items will be disabled again?

Edited by kristi6, 16 April 2008 - 02:59 PM.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
It’s because when Spyware blaster checks for updates and finds them, they simply get downloaded, but not enabled. Meaning you have to manually enable them. So if you have Spyware blaster set for auto-update the next time you open it you will see the updates are disabled. So its not really losing any protection, just the updates are not enabled.

Couldn’t tell you why that is, but I have been using Spyware blaster for quite some time and it has always been like that for me. So I set mine for manual updates and just do it all at one time about every month or so.

kristi6

kristi6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It’s because when Spyware blaster checks for updates and finds them, they simply get downloaded, but not enabled. Meaning you have to manually enable them. So if you have Spyware blaster set for auto-update the next time you open it you will see the updates are disabled. So its not really losing any protection, just the updates are not enabled.

No, that's not it, because it's always been set for manual updates. I've never used the auto update.

BTW, the NEW SpywareBlaster program update, came out a couple of weeks ago, only allows manual updates unless you pay for a premium edition.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Really… that’s kind of weird; I’ve never seen mine do that. Or maybe I just never paid attention to it :) … I will look for it when I get home tonight.

kristi6

kristi6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have two friends who have both seen it also. Since none of us like programs that decide to run updates while we are doing other things, we all pretty much do manual updates.

Of course, one of them is my brother, and he NEVER does the manual updates, I think last time he updated his AV was last summer....

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I've always done manual updates on Spywareblaster, but I believe what BHowett was saying about enabling protection is correct. Once the updates have been downloaded, you must then enable protection for the new items. That's how I've always done it. I just updated to the newest version, and again, I had to enable protection for the newest items.

Sockdown

Sockdown

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
Yup. BHowett and sari are right. Once they're downloaded, you have to enable the new items.

kristi6

kristi6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Yup. BHowett and sari are right. Once they're downloaded, you have to enable the new items.

Yes, of course you have to enable them after you download them. But what I am talking about is:

1) I open SpywareBlaster.

2) I see 32 items have protection disabled. I shrug, scratch my head and wonder why. Then I enable those items again.

3) I check to see if there are any updates. If so, I download these NEW updates. I then ENABLE these new updates.

With the new program update, maybe this quirk will disappear....not that it was much of a hassle....

Sockdown

Sockdown

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
So, what you're saying is that items that you've already enabled, are disabled when you open SpywareBlaster the next time?

kristi6

kristi6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OP again....Googled around a bit and found what appears to be the answer....apparently a trial Spyware removal program from Webroot that had been used a couple of years ago, still exists in some form or other, even though it was supposedly uninstalled.

Don't remember the details, but it causes the glitch at times. From what I read at several different malware forums, it is not a big deal. It happens on restricted sites only. In fact today when I went into SWB, a couple of dozen restricted sites had protection disabled, so it happens in the new update also.