Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI video drivers

• Please log in to reply

ox411

ox411

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
i built a computer a few years ago and i have an ati all in wonder 9600 video card.
recently i reinstalled windows and everything else onto the computer.

if i go to windows update there are 2 updates there that say they have to do with my video card. one is a high priority and one is an optional hardware update.

once ive downloaded and installed either one or both of these updates, the benchmark program 3d mark wont run anymore, and there is a question mark listed in my device manager for an unknown device, which it says is located on the 9600 video card. i cant seem to get windows to figure out what this device is, or install any drivers for it.

if i reinstall the video drivers that came on the cd i got in 2003, the little question mark is gone from the device manager, and 3d mark will run just fine.

is there any way to update my video drivers without messing up the system? is there even any reason to worry about it? should i just use the ones that are on the cd and not update them at all?

thanks for any advice you might have
-josh

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I would go to the source for drivers. ATI/AMD.
If you need performance tweaked drivers check out the Omega Drivers