Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Optical drive configurations.

• Please log in to reply

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I want to install 2 IDE optical drives in my next build. Both have their jumper settings factory set on cable select. I'll be using both on the same IDE cable. Should I leave them cable select, or should I change them to a master / slave configuration?
Thank you.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
By leaving them both as "cable Select"It means that the drive plugged into the end connector of the DATA cable will be configured by windows as the master on that data cable, and the drive plugged into the middle connector will be configured as the slave. It does not matter as such unless you only have one data cable and use it for the single hard drive and cdrom cable in a computer. Doing this means the hard drive must be plugged into the end connector of the cable to be able to be used as the "C" operating system drive.

By the way, SATA connections ( on new MB's)does away with this entirely.

SRX660

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you.
I suspected as much, but I wanted someone more tech savy to say it before I installed the 2 drives.
:)
My new HDD's will be SATA. The optical drives are both IDE. Hopefully the system will recognize the partition I install the OS on as "C" drive. It always has in the past, but I've never used SATA drives before.

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
It should work that way, as SRX660 stated above. SATA drives pretty much do all of that on themselves so you shouldn't have any problems connecting the abovementioned and getting it to work properly.