Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP NETWORK NIGHTMARE

• Please log in to reply

msc

msc

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, My wife runs a business and had Geek Squad come in and hook up the network. There are 8 desktops throughout the building, 2 phone lines and a fax machine. This is DSL by the way. Here is essentially how it goes:

The DSL line runs out of the wall into a "modem". Out of the modem runs the ethernet cable to a switch. Out of the switch come all the connections for the desktops, wireless router, and stand alone printer. The issue is is I have all 12 laptops that I am trying to network with the desktops and the ability to print to the standalone. But when I have the wiring set up so the networking is possible, I cannot find the printer, but if I can find the printer with the desktops, I cannot add the laptops to the desktop network. They are all on the same domain just cannot see each other. I do not feel like giving Geek Squad another $1000 or so as this is what they were supposed to do when they first came out and will not come out and fix it without charging again.... HELP!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

PostMark

PostMark

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there msc,

I'm new here, so I'm not sure what it's worth, but here's my 2 cents. Certain features of a wireless router may be conflicting with the local area network set by your modem. Here are two things that might help out. First, check the wireless router to see in which port is the cable from the switch connected to. If it's connected to the internet port, try connecting it to the wireless router's switch port.

A second way is to get rid of that wireless router and attach an access point instead. It might be easier. Posted Image

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
msc & PostMark,

I don't mean to interrupt but I was just wondering Msc, you want all your computers to basically print from one printer? And the laptops will not find it, but the desktops will?

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi CamTheMan,

Yeah, I think that's the situation. If msc is using a wireless router, then that could be the problem, as the router separates the laptops from the desktop network.

Additionally, if you want to keep the wireless router and not replace it with an access point like PostMark's suggestion, you could get a router with routing capabilities. But only if you have one already. If you don't, PostMarks suggestion is what I'd do.

msc

msc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi CamTheMan,

Yeah, I think that's the situation. If msc is using a wireless router, then that could be the problem, as the router separates the laptops from the desktop network.

Additionally, if you want to keep the wireless router and not replace it with an access point like PostMark's suggestion, you could get a router with routing capabilities. But only if you have one already. If you don't, PostMarks suggestion is what I'd do.

Sorry for the lack of a fast response. Yes I do want to be able to print on any printer in the building from anywhere, wireless or not, however, the wireless router is causing an issue where I cannot see the desktops. They are both part of the same domain and as far as an access point, I will try that tonight as I am at work now and cannot get there until later tonight. But with the access point will I lose wireless? How do I tell if the router has routing capabilities? I am confused so please be patient!! :)

PostMark

PostMark

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there, the access point will act as a wireless switch, so you'll get wireless connectivity with it.

msc

msc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi there, the access point will act as a wireless switch, so you'll get wireless connectivity with it.

Thanks, before I buy an access point is there a way to configure the router to be an access point?

PostMark

PostMark

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Yup, try visiting this website, it's fairly easy.

msc

msc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks, I will give it a shot and let ya know what happens!

PostMark

PostMark

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Sure, good luck!

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Guys,

What about a print server? Would that help any in this situation?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
By ensuring that all of the computers and printer are on the same logical network that would give the computer access to the printer, so yes it would help.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

By ensuring that all of the computers and printer are on the same logical network that would give the computer access to the printer, so yes it would help.

If all his are on the same network, maybe he can just buy a print server and save him time and money?

msc

msc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
it is not just the printer though I need all computers to be able to see each other and right now I only have the wired that can see each other and the laptops can see each other.... but wireless cant see wired.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Right, so right now you have this, sorry for the crude drawing:
Modem (Assuming that this modem has some routing features)
  |
  v
Switch
  | -> Computer A (Wired)->Computer B (Wired)->Printer A
  v
RouterB (Wireless Router)
  | ->Computer C (Wireless) -> Computer D (Wireless)

Because Computer's C & D are on their own router (RouterB) they can not see Computer A & B because they are on separate logical networks.
By switching Router B to become an Access Point, it will in turn make these two networks into one.
Modem (Assuming that this modem has some routing features)
  |
  v
Switch - RouterB (Wireless Router)---------------------------------v
  | -> Computer A (Wired)->Computer B (Wired)->Printer A	 |>Computer C (Wireless) -> Computer D (Wireless)
Hope that helps some.

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 18 April 2008 - 01:32 PM.