Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing xp/viruses?

• Please log in to reply

Mason151

Mason151

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, i dont know much about this so if im posting in the wrong section sorry. ive looked around here to try and see if i could fix my problem by viewing an old post but it seems that the problem is different based on the computer so to do this 1 time and the right way i am asking for some help.

the problem is kinda wierd if i tell my computer to shut down it wont, if i bring up add/remove programs list it will not open no matter how many times i click it. i think i have some viruses or something cause my comp is running slow again and the last time it was a couple viruses..i think it was voondo or vundo and several trojans..not sure this time.

i have tried to completely uninstall windows ..again.. but it doesnt bring me to the delete partition window..
i went into bios changed the order of the boot to boot from the cd rom first i inserted xp disk restarted and it booted up but... it gave me the option to install but wouldnt let me hit f8 to agree to terms no matter how hard or how many times.. i really just want to delete windows and reinstall but if yo guys know a way around or what im doing wrong id appreciate it.. thank you for you time.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Mason151, welcome to G2G.

First question. Is your Windows XP CD a a retail or OEM CD or is it a copy? Copies can cause some strange problems.

As for F8 not working, try F5 instead, see if that makes a difference.

As for virus cleanup, go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Doing this may save you from having to reinstall XP.

Mason151

Mason151

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
naw f5 only laughed at me while i was beating it into oblivion. also i tried to access the add/remove programs again and it wouldnt not open. is there anyway at all that i can delete my xp so that i may reinstall fresh from the disk. note: i have infact reinstalled xp onto this computer before but now it wont allow me to do so the same way id di before.. any ideas? ive also looked into a program called bootnuke and supposeddly it will delete everything on my harddrive is this what i need?

o and as for my xp disk i got it with my computer and it doesnt look like a restore disk, and well like i said i deleted the main partition and reinstalled before so it has to be the rig disk. it even came with a manuel. ive heard about xp only giving certain number of reinstalls for xp how does that work? thank you again

Edited by Mason151, 17 April 2008 - 08:48 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What kind of keyboard are you using, USB or PS2 style. Is it a wireless keyboard? Try a regular, PS2 type and see if that allows you to do what you want.