Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME Explorer.exe not found

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I am tryin to fix a friends computer with Windows ME on it. All I can get out of it is when it goes to start up it says Explorer.exe didn't load and i have to reinstall windows. I do not have a ME disk so what else could i possibly do? I do have a windows 2000 disk but idk if that will work or not?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may not need an installation disk. In ME the cabinet files are usually in windows/options/install and you need a win98 or ME boot floppy to extract the correct file from the right .cab file. I can't tell you off the top what cabinet file explorer.exe is in. I suggest that you run scandisk and scanreg before you extract the file, then reboot the machine. Scanreg may correct the error, if not then extract the file. Scandisk will correct any faulty sectors on the hard drive.

Edited by Tyger, 17 April 2008 - 08:05 PM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows ME: explorer.exe is in "Win_16.cab"

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Th ecomputer wont even boot up. I turn it on and it acts like its going to then that stuff pops up. How would I run scandsk or scanreg? I pushed f8 to try to start up in another mode but it still wont

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Well you need that boot floppy that I mentioned. You can go to

www.allbootdisks.com

using any computer that has a floppy drive and download a boot floppy.