Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent help, explorer.exe error

• Please log in to reply

Jeff1111

Jeff1111

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I hope I am posting this in the right section:

Last week I was getting an error where

browsseui.dll was corrupt. no icons would show up
on the desktop and i could not get to my files (explorer) or folders. i could access the task manager

i copied a new browseseui.dll file to the folder
c:\windows\system32 and it fixed the problem, though
every day it would reappear.

virus scan and defender found no viruses

today i got the same problem but also the
explorer.exe 0xc0000005 error

again no desktop icons and unable to get to files or folders-- even when i replaced the browseui.dll file

have searched around but not finding a solution....

i already tried a system restore to a couple weeks ago
and no change.

suggestions appreciated....

though remember i do not have a way to find or get to a file i may download. unless someone can tell me how to do that as well.

this is a business computer with many files i need to access and/or copy off so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go

Assuming you've got SP2 installed, try this official Microsoft patch which addresses that problem:
http://www.softwarep...0xc0000005.html

Download the file using a working computer with internet-access, put it on a floppy (yes it does fit on a floppy)

If the 'broken' computer won't boot into Windows, try booting into Safe Mode by tapping F8 as soon as the PC is turned on, then choose "Safe Mode" from the menu. You might even try "Last known good configuration" instead. Worth a try. Try them both if need be (remember to tap F8 when you restart to try another startup option). When Windows is running in whatever mode possible, run the patch file off the floppy by double-clicking it. When patched, remove floppy and reboot.

Edited by pip22, 18 April 2008 - 08:53 AM.

Jeff1111

Jeff1111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the suggestion.

I do not know if sp2 is installed. Is there a way to tell?

Regardless--
I did the patch and it and it did not help solve the problem.