Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble when starting computer..

• Please log in to reply

breannishome

breannishome

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a laptop that I use now but I got my old desktop out to use that one in another room.

Hewlett Packard Pavillion with Windows ME.

When I turned it on it came to a completely black screen with white text on it with the following.....

Microstoft Windows Millinnium Start up Menu.
1. Normal
2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
3. Safe Mode
4. Step by step confirmation
5. Command prompt only
6. Safe Mode command promt only
Enter choice: Time remaining:

Warning-Windows has detected a registry confirmation error. Use SCANREG to correct this error.

This drive is provided by ......blah blah blah
The following files is missing or corrupted: C/windows\IFSHLP.SYS

I have tried all selections of numbers and read past posts and suggestions and nothing seems to give...its still a black screen with the white text.

My friend came over and got something new to show up....The following was on the screan "incorrect system type"

Please help....

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
So which error message shows up now ?
If the 1st one then read this.
click on me

cheers
Peterm

breannishome

breannishome

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Peterm...I do not have the start up disk anywhere. Is there somewhere where I can download it from? The error message that shows up now is the one that shows up everytime (except for that one time)....."Warning Windsows has detected a registry/configuration error. Use SCANREG to correct this error....blah blah.....The following file is missing or corrupted: C\Windows\IFSHLP.SYS"

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Peterm...I do not have the start up disk anywhere. Is there somewhere where I can download it from? The error message that shows up now is the one that shows up everytime (except for that one time)....."Warning Windsows has detected a registry/configuration error. Use SCANREG to correct this error....blah blah.....The following file is missing or corrupted: C\Windows\IFSHLP.SYS"

Yes, you can get a start up disk here.

http://www.allbootdisks.com

Just put a floppy in the drive and click on the executable for winME and it will write the floppy.

Edited by Tyger, 19 April 2008 - 10:24 AM.