Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Trouble

• Please log in to reply

robpxx

robpxx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Everytime i put my computer together i get no video, no mobo beeps, optical drive light just stays on, and when turned on initially the video card fan wont spin until 2-3 seconds go by. I've already sent the motherboard back to the manufacture and it has been fixed. My power supply is a fully modable design. I would change alot of my parts out but i am currently serving in Japan...and not the cool Tokyo area way up north in the stick...please help!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This may help.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm

Click on each area where you have the problem.

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

no mobo beeps and nothing on the screen

my bet is the power supply is either bad or not enough wattage for your system...
give us your system spec's

robpxx

robpxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
my specs are: amd athlon x2 5200+
2GB Mushkin DDR2 800
ASUS M2N32-SLI mobo
PNY Verto 8800GTS 320Mb video card
Coolmax CUG-700b 700W powersupply--all cables are modable

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I assume you used thermal paste when mounting the cpu heatsink...to much is as bad as to little

1) Remove EVERYTHING from the case
2) Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. .DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! The outside of some of these can actually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
3) Install the CPU and heat sink.
4) Install the RAM ...only install 1 stick for DDR...DDR2...DDR3 and SDRAM, 2 for RDRAM)
5) Install the video card. Do make sure the card is FULLY seated.
6) Connect the monitor to the video card.
7) Connect the power supply to the motherboard.
8) Connect power to the power supply
9) Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
10) Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. You now have found you have a mounting problem. The board is shorting to the case.

If not, then you most likely have a faulty component. You will need to swap parts with known good units ie power supply, cpu, ram, video card.

Edited by happyrck, 19 April 2008 - 05:28 PM.