Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Try to restore to earlier date but won't restore

• Please log in to reply

nanajanet

nanajanet

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My cousin was over so we could do a search and I tried to get his computer to hook to my internet. I could not find my registration key, :) ugh. Anyway, I must have done something to do with networking and now I am getting a lot of these pop ups that say, "Cannot load dialog. Error 623. The system could not find the phone book connection for this connection," when I open some pages on the internet.

I tried to restore to an earlier date, which USUALLY fixes such things but no matter what date I hit to restore to, after I "restore" and the computer restarts, it says it could not restore.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Thanks
Janet

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi nanajanet,Welcome to GeeksToGo.

First, was your cousin trying to connect wirelessly? Below I write out what we can help about those pop-ups. But if your cousin was trying to connect wirelessly you need your Network Access Key.

I would advise you to go and get those pop-ups checked out by our Malware team, even though those errors are problems on sites and in your browser it sounds to me need your PC checked out.

Please go here and read the directions. Some of the steps you may skip.

Once you get to step 5 and have read and followed the instructions make a thread in here containing within that post your HiJackThis Log.

Other things I suggest:

Resetting your browser, when you open Internet Explorer click Tools -> Internet Options --> Select the Tab Advanced --->Click Rest and follow the instructions.

The above insturctions are for Internet Explorer 7.

Instructions for Internet Explorer 6:
Click Tools in the menu and then Options to enter the Internet Options window. Now select the Advanced Tab and click Restore Defaults button. Finally click the Apply button to save all the settings and OK to exit.

If you have Internet Explorer 6 I advise upgrading.
Download Internet Explorer 7

Edited by CamTheMan, 19 April 2008 - 06:25 PM.

nanajanet

nanajanet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi - thanks for the input. My only thought that I must have caused those pop ups myself is that they only started happening after I tried hooking him up. I opened up something in networks and may have done something that my computer is searching for something.

I know if I can restore my computer to an earlier date, it will most likely fix it. I have Avast and it seems to keep away malware, I assume.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I do have one more thing we can try:

Click Start -> Control Panel --> Make sure your in Classic View ---> Click Internet Options ---->Click the Tab "Connections" -----> Close to the bottom select "never Dial a connection". For example see image below:

Posted Image

Hopefully this will fix.

-Cam

nanajanet

nanajanet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yes, that solved it by going to Control Panel, then Internet Options, then Connections and setting it to never dial a connection. Somehow I must have, in my quest to get my cousin on, gone to the wrong thing and set it to dial a connection. Thanks for your help. I will now go and find out why I can't restore. I did see another thread here about it so I thought I would check that out. Thanks again.

Edited by nanajanet, 19 April 2008 - 08:19 PM.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
It might be something wrong with that certain restore point. Try restoring to a different one.

If I were you I would clear all old restore points out and make a new one. If you want me to help you clear them out and create a new restore point I would be more the happy to help you on that.

-Cam

nanajanet

nanajanet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks. If I remove all old restore points, does that mean I can never restore back? I did not set up any restore points, personally, just the ones that the computer puts in.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Thanks. If I remove all old restore points, does that mean I can never restore back? I did not set up any restore points, personally, just the ones that the computer puts in.

If we remove the past restore points they will be lost. They computer will still make restore points automatically, but you and I wil make one manully after removing old restore points.

You said that when you tried to restore it didn't work, did you try any other restore points?

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 08:30 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Everything you wanted to know about 'System Restore' but never asked.

Don't delete the old restore points unless you have to, would be my suggestion.
There are fixes for restore points here and the rest of the story.

http://www.kellys-ko.../xp_restore.htm