Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changed My Docs folder default location, why still in ALL

• Please log in to reply

dorheldav

dorheldav

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently helped a friend move her My Documents Folder default location to her D drive (partition). However her C drive is still showing that under All Users the 4 Gb of documents is still there. Her computer is set up with 14 Gb for her Windows and programs and her pictures, music...documents go to D. Her C drive has 12% free space left but the properties for all the programming, including Windows adds up to roughly 8 Gb. When I click on Documents and Settings/All...still shows the 4 Gb of My Documents, even tho it's on a different drive. The All Users cannot be changed to a default location on D because it's a system file and so on.

How can I help her? Obviously her computer is not working well with only 12% free space. I suggested using a partitioning program to give C more Gb, but is there something more obvious that I am missing?

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Instead of moving My Documents to the slave.
Make a new folder on the slave and call it My Documents S.

Download this-

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Take a look at the sync options, you can move everything to that folder on the slave and remove the files on the master.
Or a few other methods are options, check them all out before deciding..

Another thing you can do is uninstall most programs you have on C drive and reinstall them on D drive. Create a folder and call it Program Files on D drive and you can install your programs there. Some you will need on the C drive, but most all the free programs can be reinstalled on the D drive. All the programs that you know that can be uninstalled and reinstalled will work from D drive.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
And set your download folder to a new download folder on D drive also.

Btw how big is the my documents folder and do you keep your downloads for the programs you have installed.

And what programs do you want to keep but don't have the download. Maybe we can help you find it.

Your word processing programs and pictures will be the big hogs I would think.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
and i meant to say that the reason to make a new folder on D drive called Program Files is that when you are installing a program it will show the destination as C Program files. so all you have to do is change the C to a D. Sometimes you need to choose custom install to get the destination of the program.

Edited by cmpm, 20 April 2008 - 09:41 AM.