Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

S-L-O-W Start up

• Please log in to reply

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Take a look at my post about all this: http://doc1101.vox.com/

Lots of suggestions there on how to decide what processes are wanted.
The 'links' on that site are not live. Copy and paste the URLs to your browser address bar to view the referenced pages. No spyware, no cookies, nothing to buy or donate, just info.

From the list that you offered before, I can only offer clear advice on one: dumprep 0 -k. I would need to see what Scotty shows to better understand the others. My Vox has a list of good places to look for info on the process names.

dumprep 0 -k is a process that begins to run after a system crash.(Blue Screen) It is not essential, and will begin again after any crash. It is harmless and of little or no benefit. It can be safely disabled.

Actually, anything that Scotty offers can be "safely" disabled. It may be, however, that you want certain things running because of the functionality they provide. It is OK to 'Disable' things in WinPatrol and then see how everything runs. Remember-it's easy to change your mind, and no harm has resulted. Go back to the list and "Enable." It is best to do this one-at-a-time so you know what did what.

Discovering which process goes with which program is very helpful as you do this. That is why I also very much like free Process Explorer. You can read my explanation of what I call "Super Taskmanager" here: http://www.5starsupp...?showtopic=8275

I do not know how you use your computer, and how you have your system configured. I cannot say "stop this, keep that," because I may be limiting the function of programs you need and want. I can offer you tools and information to help you make informed decisions. That is my goal.

Advertisements

pyotrr

pyotrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thankyou all for making the effort anfd taking the time to reply.

However, there are conflicting pieces of advice. I am not experienced enough to decipher what is best for me at the moment.

Thanks once again!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Perhaps if you post back with specific questions one-at-a time we can better assist you.

I will not be online at all Sat-Sun-Mon.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Try this, unzip it and it's ready to go.

http://www.hostmonit...d/procmeter.zip

After you start it there will be a graph and each bar is a process.
If you click on the bar of the process it will give you more info.
And most of the time the programs that are using it.

If nothing else, it will give you more info to find in your search.

also right clicking 'my computer'
select-properties
advanced tab
performance

In here you will see a bunch of boxes checked.
the last three is all you need plus the one that says 'smooth edges of screen fonts'
that will help

If you have programs you don't use any more for performance,
or you are not sure what they do, post them here.

Some programs will insert a service which takes up performance without even starting the program.
In other words-Just installing a program can slow a computer down.
Open 'control panel' 'add-remove programs' and list the ones you are not sure of.

And please post what your computer has in it.
Right click my computer.
On the first page is processor and memory.