Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade Help

• Please log in to reply

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I want to upgrade my Gateway 300S desktop. No purchasing a new motherboard because of the custom case. I want to make sure everything fits good. I found memory for it to upgrade to 2GB. I want some suggestions for Video Card, Processor and a CD/DVD Combo Drive. I don't know the socket for the CPU or what the mobo supports. Please help!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Can I just clear this up - you don't want to upgrade your current motherboard because you have a custom case?

Is this your system? -----> Gateway DX300S

If so, you have a system that will support up to 4GB of 667MHz DDR2 RAM. You already have a 2GB DDR2 kit, correct?

Your motherboard will support a socket 775 Intel processor (very common), but not anything above a Pentium D. This is a shame as the Core 2 Duo processor would give you a real nice upgrade, but depending on the current processor you have, it may be worth grabbing a Pentium D (or it may not).

You have support for a PCI-Express x16 graphics card - very good.

You will have either a 305W or a 400W PSU, which would most probably need upgrading...

So: For what purposes do you wish to upgrade your computer? Is it just "too slow"? Or do you have a specific program (like a game) that needs better requirements? Also, what is your budget to allocate toward components so we can help guide you on the right track without sending you broke?

Cheers

Troy

spaztastic

spaztastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
This is my computer.

Configuration at time of purchase:
Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz
128 MB DDR RAM
48X CD-ROM Drive
40GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Home

Configuration at this present time:
Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
512 MB DDR RAM
48X CD-ROM Drive
80GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Home

Edited by spaztastic, 21 April 2008 - 01:27 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

So your computer has already seen a round of upgrading! I have to admit, for the price you would be paying for a Pentium D, I don't think it would be worth the upgrade as far as performance is concerned.

My link in post #2 is obviously not your computer, then. Are you able to find the Gateway support page for your exact model? It would be helpful.

Alternatively, an Everest Home Edition report will help us find out much of what's under the hood of your system right now:

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Once installed, start Everest Home Edition and click on the Report button up the top.

From the box that appears, select the following at each page:
  • Next
  • Check the System Summary Only option
  • Next
  • Check the Plain Text option
  • Finish
Copy and paste the second section (with the title Summary) in your next reply.

To check your PSU specifications, power down the computer and take the side cover off. There is no need to touch any of the internal components.

Simply write down the Make and Model, the total (Max) wattage (e.g. 380W) and the total number of volts on the +12V rail(s) (e.g. 2x +12V rails with 17A each). See the image below for an example that is an Antec Earthwatts Power Supply Unit.

Posted Image

Post this information in your next reply.

Cheers

Troy