Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Interior

• Please log in to reply

Icculus

Icculus

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
My sister's laptop's mobo crashed that apparently is out of warranty... It is in an HP laptop (possibly 2130 she says) and, since I don't know anything about laptops, cannot recommend a method of fixing. I understand all types of computer service is expensive and, as a student, she cannot afford that.

Obviously, a laptop interior is more complex than a PC. Could I potentially talk her through a replacement mobo or is it significantly more complex than a standard PC?

Any other recommendations?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Although laptop motherboards for home fitting are now available for most laptop models, I wouldn't recommend it. Use of a soldering iron is essential for many of the connections owing to lack of space for the connectors found in larger computers. The board could easily be damaged whilst soldering which means you've wasted your money and would have been better off getting a professional to repair it. And that's only assuming a motherboard is still available for it.

I recommend you get advice first about the availablity of a mobo for it, then get a quote for having it fitted.

Incidentally, how do you know the existing mobo is "fried" and beyond repair?

Icculus

Icculus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I do not know what exactly is wrong with it unfortunately... I will tell my sister to find out more about the problem and let me know as she is half the way across the country from me.

As always, I appreciate the feedback... Love this forum!