Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't watch a video all the way through anymore?

• Please log in to reply

wrecklesskane

wrecklesskane

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi everyone, :)

Well i've been having some video problems on my computer these last few weeks, and I can't watch a whole video all the way through anymore. Like on any video websites, such as youtube, LiveVideo, and other ones too. Alright so I'll tell you guys the problem, ok so whenever I try to watch a video, it'll play for about ten seconds but after that it'll reset on it's own and sometimes it'll just stop from where it's at and won't continue from that point on. But I can move the video scroller to where the point it stopped at but it'll only play for about another ten seconds, so it just keeps doing that and I don't know why. But i've been told that System Restore may solve the problem, but my computer doesn't have that option, so I ask, what could be the solution to this issue? :)

P.S. Also i've been reading things about this System Restore, and they said whenever you download or install a new game, application, or software update, you make changes to your computer. And sometimes that change may make your system unstable. So I'm thinking that could be the reason why my computer got outta whack, all unexpected like this. And I don't much about computers yet, so you'll have to explain to me in simple wording so I can understand :)

Edited by wrecklesskane, 22 April 2008 - 10:03 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try other videos on YouTube, its possible that the server housing the videos you're watching is running slow. Otherwise this can be an ISP issue.

System Restore is a safety net for issues caused by programs you install, however it is known to make things worse on occasion. Computers get "out of whack" more often than not through software you use and run, or through hardware that wears out and goes faulty rather than anything else. Windows XP itself is a very stable piece of software (second only to Windows 2000 in my opinion) and it usually only falls over because something else has caused it to fall over - I've never seen XP fall over because of itself.

wrecklesskane

wrecklesskane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
We'll no matter how hard I try, the videos will always do this on any video website and not just youtube, and I don't know what could of caused this, but the results are still the same. And well I haven't been installing any kind of programs or nothing like that on my computer, it has always been the same, i've never tampered with any of the computer settings at all. It was all just fine until one day I got on and tried to watch a video and outta nowhere this problem popped up. It's really hard to explain, but I'm sure you guys have the solution to this problem somewhere within in your banks.

P.S Like I said before I don't know much about computers, so I don't know what an ISP issue is, sorry

Try other videos on YouTube, its possible that the server housing the videos you're watching is running slow. Otherwise this can be an ISP issue.

System Restore is a safety net for issues caused by programs you install, however it is known to make things worse on occasion. Computers get "out of whack" more often than not through software you use and run, or through hardware that wears out and goes faulty rather than anything else. Windows XP itself is a very stable piece of software (second only to Windows 2000 in my opinion) and it usually only falls over because something else has caused it to fall over - I've never seen XP fall over because of itself.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Download and install this and follow any prompts and things to do it says.

http://www.filehippo...ite_codec_pack/

wrecklesskane

wrecklesskane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I just tried to download that program, but for some reason it ain't letting me have it. Because when I downloaded it, and it said it was corrupted and I tried downloading it again and still the same results. Man I'm starting to think I got a virus now guys.

Download and install this and follow any prompts and things to do it says.

http://www.filehippo...ite_codec_pack/

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
If you already have a codec pack installed, you have to uninstall them.
Check add/remove programs and see if you have any codec packs already. otherwise do the malware deal, starting with the programs it gives you to run.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

wrecklesskane

wrecklesskane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Woah that's a bit complicated for me man, but all I know is that I don't have any of them codec pack things you were talking about though. And I don't know what the malware thing does either, I went to that link you put there, but I still couldn't understand what I was supposed to do, sorry

If you already have a codec pack installed, you have to uninstall them.
Check add/remove programs and see if you have any codec packs already. otherwise do the malware deal, starting with the programs it gives you to run.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
There are no quick fixes for malware.
You have to take it a step at a time as outlined simply in that link.
If you slow down and take it a step at a time it will work.
If you want to check your computer out for malware.

Even if it's not this site's recommendations,
it still takes time from any source,
and doing it one step at a time.

Unless you want more problems.

Edited by cmpm, 23 April 2008 - 05:22 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, some questions to try and pinpoint the problem you're having and how we can fix it.
  • Does the problem only happen with videos you are trying to watch online (i.e. from within a web browser like Internet Explorer)?
  • Or does it happen to video files you have saved on your computer as well?
  • How about watching a movie (i.e. DVD in the drive), does the problem still occur?
As for codecs, you could try this link, or VLC Media Player, but I don't think this will fix your problem.

Cheers

Troy

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
VLC is a good choice but i like windows mediaplayer classic that comes with Klite.

whatever you use just download the recommended install
any other codecs you need will be installed on demand

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
and vlc can use your webcam...a little bonus
heck get both players

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

heck get both players

Not a good idea, as both come with a full set of codecs - and you only want one set to use.

Anyway, I get the impression his web browser is corrupt, that's why I asked the questions I did.

And I use the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, I love Media Player Classic - so light on resources compared to Windows Media Player!

Troy

wrecklesskane

wrecklesskane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Wow all I had to do was get that AFT cleaner, and choose select all for it, and after that I was able to watch videos again, Thank you very much. I never expected that the AFT cleaner would solve my problem. but I guess it did thank you again for helping (Problem solved)

There are no quick fixes for malware.
You have to take it a step at a time as outlined simply in that link.
If you slow down and take it a step at a time it will work.
If you want to check your computer out for malware.

Even if it's not this site's recommendations,
it still takes time from any source,
and doing it one step at a time.

Unless you want more problems.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
wrecklesskane,

ATF Cleaner is a nice little utility. It cleans out all your temporary files, your web browser cache, etc. I run it periodically just to keep my system cleaned up. It sounds like clearing out your cache may cleared up the problem - I'm glad it's working again.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
ATF-Cleaner doesn't fix Malware by itself.
It cleans certain folders that get jammed up with files.
Certain folders have limitations and once those limitations are reached they have a hard time functioning and are slow and sometimes will not respond.
So cleaning is what you did.