Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Admin Profile has no Admin Powers

• Please log in to reply

BMAC23

BMAC23

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a Compaq desktop and am running XP.

I recently lost the ability to use most of the after-market programs installed on my cpu. When i try to open them, they ask for serial numbers. However, they do not accept the serial numbers when I type them in. When I try to uninstall them, I noticed I do not have install/uninstall privileges. And most do not show up in add/remove hardware. I also lost access to my Outlook Express mailboxes. And my desktop looks screwy.

I have only one user account: "Administrator," but it seems I've lost my Administrator privileges. System Restore only goes back to the date it occurred. :)

Is there a way to get full admin access or at least make the cpu recognize the programs it shows on the desktop?

TIA
BMac

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi BMAC23, welcome to G2G.

This sounds suspeciously like a malware infection. I recommend you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

BMAC23

BMAC23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi ZTruker,

I am now clean of Malware thanks to AndrewUK's help, but I am still in the same position.

It may or may not be an admin thing, but...

I cannot use most of my programs, I cannot uninstall them because they are not listed in Add/remove programs. I cannot RE-INSTALL them, because the install section craps out about halfway through saying it's either already installed or variations on that theme.

System Restore only dates back to the day the problems began. So I am at a complete loss as to what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Create a new account with Administrator privileges, see if things work better there. Post results here please.

BMAC23

BMAC23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It's reacting the same as before.

I am not sure what results I am supposed to post. A log file or something?

Example of the trouble: Trying to re-install MS Office, which is listed in my start>programs list, but not my add/remove programs list. So I tried to reinstall. The resintall crapped out saying "MS Setup Bootstrap" wasn't working. Now MS Office is in my Add/remove programs, but I still cannot uninstall it, because the reinstall failed.

So I do not have access to that program. That is the case with most of the programs on my computer right now.

It may not be an Admin problem at all, perhaps its something to do with a damaged MS framework?

Thanks for your help

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have a XP CD or a OEM recovery CD? What is the make and model number of your computer? Perhaps a Repair Install will fix this. Read the information at the link I provided then decide if you want to give it a try or not. It should not cause you to lose any data.

BMAC23

BMAC23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok. now my computer seems killed. :)

I followed the instructions at the how-to-repair link,

but after pressing f8 I was taken to a screen that says: "Setup could not read the CD you insterted, or the CD is not a valid windows CD" (It is)

Also "Please insert (then its lists older versions of windows) into your CD-Rom drive"

"When the CD is in the drive press Enter
To Quit setup press f3"

Well the only CD I have is Windows XP Media Center and it is IN the drive.
When I try to quit it says "Windows XP is not completely set up on your computer. If you quit setup now, you will need to run setup again to set up windows XP"

So basically I am just staring at a blue screen until I hope you tell me what to do. Please help :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Couple things to try.

First, clean the Cd. Make sure there are no scratches or smudges on it. To clean, use a soft cloth and plain, warm (not hot) water and a very little mild hand soap. Don't wipe in circles, wipe from the inside to the edge.

If that doesn't help, then try making a copy of the CD on another computer. Sometimes that will allow the install to complete.

It's also possible that your CD drive is having problems, but let's try the above first.

BMAC23

BMAC23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok, I tried cleaning it to no avail. I will have to go elsewhere to copy the disc.

is it OK to shut down or at least f3 out of setup?

At this point it has been on all day and the fan is kicking on and off.

Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, F3 out then shutdown. When you have another CD, just boot it and do the Repair Install.