Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Doesn't Work -- Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply

Greenstone

Greenstone

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I built my own computer last year. Everything worked fine until I decided to buy a new hard drive. Since it's purchase I have been unable to hear sound or use my front USB ports. I believe it has also stopped me from using my (nice) graphics card.

I'm not sure what to do. I think the problem might me my motherboard drivers, but I'm not sure about anything. How can I take steps to fix this?

Thanks,
-Trevor

Attached Thumbnails

• devicemanager.JPG

Edited by Greenstone, 23 April 2008 - 08:26 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing you need to do is get into the bios and disable the on-board video if there is on-board. You then need to install the graphics card drivers . The computer should use windows basic video drivers with the graphics card until you install the video drivers. It won't be pretty but they should at least give you a dispaly. The sound is probably in the chipset drivers for the motherboard. If you don't have a chipset driver CD you can probably find the sound drivers on the MB makers website.

You also have a problem of installing the wrong drivers for the ethernet. You have 2 differeent drivers there. Find out which you do have and delete the wrong drivers out of device manager.

SRX660