Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

printer shares on xp from vista problem

• Please log in to reply

sup8pdct

sup8pdct

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a HP laptop running vista home premieam and a desktop with xp pro.
I want to share a printer on my XP, a hp 1015.
Crazy thing is, with my login on the lappy, I can use the printer, My wifes login on the lappy, it won't work, keeps saying invalid password.
How do I get around this stupid problem??

James

Advertisements

Buji

Buji

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sup8pdct,
You said you were able to login to your laptop and you are able to print. And that your wife logs on and it says her password is incorrect. My question is, is it that she can not log on to the computer, or is there a password that is required when using the printer?

sup8pdct

sup8pdct

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have never setup a password to use the printer. on the lappy, we both have our own login.
when setting up the printer on the lappy, i direct it to the location via a port ie \\computer\printer and lappy comes back with bad password but there is nowhere in the port settings to setup a password. other computers on the network don't even ask for passwords one of which is another hp lappy mostly the same as our one.

James

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you set yourself up as a user account on the desktop but not set your wife up as a user account on the desktop.
Can your wife access other files on the desktop or just printer problems.
Do you and your wife both have the same log on credentianls on the lappy ? eg both admin or power users?
Cheers
peterm

sup8pdct

sup8pdct

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have solved it in a round about way. each time the lappy is turned on and she loggs in, I have to access a shared drive on the home xp machine and it asks for username/password. once I enter that in, the printer works. I don't have to do that from another lappy running vista or from another computer running xp pro.
What a PITA.
I have checked the box to remember the login details. only time will tell now.

James

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
does your wife log into the other lappy or desktop the same way
or does she not log into those.

sup8pdct

sup8pdct

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
guess I should explain the setup.
Have 2 desktops, both running xp pro linked by 100Mb cable to a hub then adsl modem. have 2 lappys running vista linked wirelessly to adsl modem 10Mb .
Printer hp 1015 connected to my desktop shared.
Epson colour printer connected to 2nd desktop shared, wifes desktop.
2nd lappy is step sons one
I have a username on my desktop for my wife but no password.
I have a user name for me on my desktop with password. no login for stepson at all.
have user name on 1st lappy for both me and wife, both passworded. same names as desktop. my login is same password.
2nd lappy also has a login for me with same password but stepson uses it with his own and is main user.
2nd desktop has wifes login with different name no password, , my login same as my desktop with same password
only computer with the printer hassels is 1st lappy with the hp.
To solve my problem, do I have to put same password on her login on my desktop as the lappy?

James