Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bulging Capacitators?

• Please log in to reply

Zuarfia

Zuarfia

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Anyone know the symptoms of this and how to fix it? I just recently opened my computer and found most of my capacitators were bulged (in comparison to the ones next to it).

I've been getting the following errors
a) System randomly reboots
b) Corruption of data when dling from internet
c) My computer randomly screws up, beeps and displays random colours across the screen like a checker board

I was wondering if this is a result of bulged capacitators or if this is another problem.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I

was wondering if this is a result of bulged capacitators

yep...your going to have to replace the mobo..its not cost effective to replace capacitors...

Edited by happyrck, 24 April 2008 - 06:51 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are handy with a soldering gun you can buy a kit for replacing the bad caps. I have done this with one MB already.

http://www.badcaps.net/

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Dell Optiplex GX270 Tower 2.8GHz 512MB 40GB XP Pro

$224.95
found here

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would suggest upgrading and changing the power supply unit at the same time you replace the Mobo. It was more than likely the original cause provided over-temps didn't do it. Would also suggest getting an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to protect from brownouts, spikes and other voltage transients on your ac power line. At the price of new PC today, might be cheaper going the all new route, but I would get the UPS for sure.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 24 April 2008 - 06:31 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You haven't told us what model the motherboard or machine is but you may be able to get a replacement for free or the shipping costs from the maker. I would certainly check that out before trying to replace them. Doing it can be very tricky and there is always the risk of damage to the board. I just recently replaced three on a board, the first time I've done it, and I can tell you that you need to be very careful doing it.

By the way, some of the Dells had bad capacitors and Dell was giving out replacement boards long after warranty.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,729 posts
If it is a Dell, it is a known problem on some of their motherboards. I think there is some sort of replacement policy, but it could be expired by now.