Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High speed device on low speed USB port

• Please log in to reply

dfb500

dfb500

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I have gone wireless with my laptop by installing the Verizon broadband PC card. When I installed the Verizon software I received a message stating I was implemetning a high speed device to a low speed USB port. I spoke to Verizon and they claim that this will not affect the speed of the connection. This sounds suspect to me so I am asking would I receive better performance with a high speed port and if the answer is yes can I have a PC tech convert this USB port to high speed. I have a Dell lattitide laptop running XP

Thanjs

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
USB 2.0 is 48 times faster than USB 1.0. The connectors are exactly the same but the real problem is that in the licencing agreements the inventors of USB have made it so you cannot just download USB 2 drivers to get USB 2 speeds.

So the bottom line is to either buy a newer laptop or just put up with USB 1.0 speeds, which are quite abysmal compared to USB 2.0.

SRX660