Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to remove certain programs...

• Please log in to reply

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I recently opened up Add or Remove programs to attempt to speed up my computer by removing some programs and I noticed that I have quite a few that I am unable to remove! They have no information whatsoever (size, last date used etc) and when I click on "remove", an hourglass appears by my cursor, but then nothing happens.

Any advice on what to do, or if I even need to remove them would be much appreciated!

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Try using Windows Installer Cleanup utility
you can download it from here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

that should remove the program

hitman1531

hitman1531

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
tune up utilitles.

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks for the fast reply Mr Freeze, unfortunately that program did NOT show me the programs which I wanted to remove. It only showed the ones that I paid for or were recognized by Microsoft (I think).

I've heard of certain programs that can "force-remove" anything on your computer, if you know what any of those are, please post them :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
hitman1531 please post some helpful advice

If you can't remove the files then they may be needed so be careful. Try a program like UnLocker

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Well one of the programs is Google Earth, and I am positive I won't ever need that ever again. Everytime I click on remove, a message displays saying that "setup.exe" has encountered an error and has to be closed. I click OK and then nothing happens...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try reinstalling it, then uninstalling it. This often fixes problems like this.

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Ok thanks, I'll try installing/un-installing all of the programs, see how that works out.