Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2 caused windows to restart endlessly

• Please log in to reply

vaqueton

vaqueton

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have the a problem with my Evo Laptop. It was working perfectly until I updated the SP2. It caused it to restart over and over again. I have yet to get a straigh answer. Some say it the Umax driver causing conflict, other that its a virus, others that its the bios.

I have reformatted three times, 1st time updated everything except sp2, got the same endless restart. Second time updated a critical fix (ends in 626) supposed to fix the bios, from Compaq, same result, endless reboot. This third time I am running with no updates, spyware or virus protections.

Microsoft recommeds that I contact Compaq, and Compaq recomends I contact MS. Other than splurging for a MAC I dont know what to do. Some other poor chap in this forum has the same problem nut has not posted his solution, if he found one.

Please help someone...

thanks in advance. (PS my pc works perfectly without any updates, so I know its not the equipment, but I know its vounerable this way)

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Let's take a look at your HijackThis log. See this topic, and post a log in the malware removal forum. Unfortunately, we're backed up at present, and it will likely take a few days for a reply.

vaqueton

vaqueton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, I posted the hijack log in the forum. thanks

vaqueton

vaqueton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I heard from someone that this was caused by missing files in wondows xp. I remeber when installing that several files from i386 were not able to be copied, could this be it and how can I get these files?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wait, you are saying that it works fine now? But the minute you add updates it craps out?

eadler

eadler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know if this will help you, but I had the same problem with my laptop when I updated SP2. Microsoft told me to boot with the OS CD, which I really didn't have because my system came with a recovery disk which would not let me into repair mode. However a friend lent me their copy and it worked. It seemed that my problem came from updating the service pack and installing it without disabling my anti-virus and resident active files. I haven't had the problem since.

This is what fixed by reboot problem:
To fix a hard disk problem (my system kept rebooting and rebooting)

1. CMOS MUST GIVE YOU OPTION TO BOOT FROM CDROM
2. PUT XP DISK IN CD ROM
3. TOUCH ANY, KEY TO BOOT FROM CD
4. R TO REPAIR
5. WHICH WINDOWS INSTALL DO YOU WANT TO ENTER - 1: C:\WINDOWS
6. PASSWORD - (IT IS THE PASSWORD OF THE 1ST PERSON PUT IN THE system)
7. CHKDSK /R
8. IT TAKES A LONG TIME AND SOMETIMES IT CAN GET TO 70% AND THEN GO BACK TO 50%

Good luck
:tazz:

vaqueton

vaqueton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, that did not work, For some reason the cd could not copy over several files "cyclad-z.inf.cyclom-y.inf and three sv-262e1.png files. Those missing files may be causing the problem. Now, where do I get them?

stevelundberg

stevelundberg

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Thanks, that did not work, For some reason the cd could not copy over several files  "cyclad-z.inf.cyclom-y.inf and three sv-262e1.png files. Those missing files may be causing the problem.  Now, where do I get them?

View Post

I am getting a similar problem right now while installing a trial version of XP with SP2 onto my Thinkpad. By searching "CYCLAD" on Google I find the following:
CYCLAD
and
CYCLOM

I can't vouch for this site, nor these files I downloaded from there. Soon I hope to post my success story to this thread.