Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply

wade_man_uk

wade_man_uk

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have been trying to fix a friends computer for a while now and I am still having no success. The pc is running Windows XP Home edition with sp2.

The problem is this sound dont work at all in internet explorer no matter what website its on. It works perfectly with every other application on the PC just not internet explorer.

Its not spyware, adware or a virus as I have done a thorough scan for these on the pc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
go to your internet options and click on advance tab....scroll to media and see if play sound in web pages is checked

Posted Image

wade_man_uk

wade_man_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the reply Mr Freeze. I've just had a look and sadly the box is already ticked. Any more suggestions though would be welcome.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Click Start , and then Control Panel .
Click Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices and then Sounds and Audio Devices .
Click the Sounds tab.
In the Program events list, find and select Windows Explorer .
Select Complete Navigation and set " sounds " to " notify.wav ".
Start Navigation and set the " sounds " to " Windows XP Start.wav "
Click OK .

give that a try

wade_man_uk

wade_man_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Have also tried this aswell Mr Freeze as I found this method through the Microsoft Knowledge Database. Sadly however this method has also not worked.

Anymore help would be appreciated from anybody as this has been annoying me for about 6 months now.

Thanks In Advance

wade_man_uk

wade_man_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have also after searching tried a solution that involves adding wavemapper to the registry. However this solution also did not work for me and I am now completely lost as to what to try next.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated as at the moment the only option that's looking left to me is a full wipe of the hard-drive and re-install of xp.

This I would wish to avoid as this would take me a day or two to complete due to the volume of files the pc has and will need to keep.

wade_man_uk

wade_man_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Also have installed Firefox on the pc and the sound still didnt work with firefox. I really dont have a clue anymore. :)

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
this seems more of a registry problem.......if you made any modification to the registry keys ...did create any back-ups ......if thats the case of it being registry modification then not much more i can do.....but if you want to try tune up ......it has a free trial......

http://www.tune-up.c...ownload/tu2007/

wade_man_uk

wade_man_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Nope I can personally guarantee that the registry has not been touched in any way. The person who's pc is it simply put wouldn't know how to get into the registry let alone edit anything to do with it. Also since I've been looking at the PC I've not touched the registry except to ensure that the wavemapper registry key was there and it was so i left it alone.

Thanks for your all your help Mr Freeze it has been much appreciated.

I was wondering though could maybe somebody else take a look at this also so I can get another opinion maybe of somebody more experienced with this problem.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
have you checked services

open control panel
administrative tools
open component services
on the left click on + services(local)
in console root...check to if
windows audio ...
status should be started
startup type automatic

wade_man_uk

wade_man_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Will try this later Mr Freeze but was wondering if its labelled windows audio would this not mean that my problem would no audio whatsoever and just limited to internet browsers?

wade_man_uk

wade_man_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Still no success. Think im trying to fix a lost cause :)