Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error message when openig AVI

• Please log in to reply

rivley

rivley

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, just a small problem i hope you can help with. Every time i open any folder that contains an avi file i get an error message or in most cases several error messages. It doesn't cause any problems, once i close the error messages everything still runs fine it is just annoying the [bleep] out of me.
Dont know if it makes a difference but it started when i removed utorrent and installed bittorrent.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi rivley. This could be caused by a corrupted AVI file. When you open a folder with AVI file sin it, Explorer tries to generate thumbnails for each one. If one is corrupted, you get error messages.

You can stop XP from doing this via one of the following:
  • Use ShellExView to disable 'Video Thumbnail Extractor.'
  • Use regedit to delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590} to get rid of thumbnail previews but keep the summary details in the properties tab.
You can also delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandle to disable display of summary details in the properties tab.

As always, before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.