Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewalls

• Please log in to reply

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
OK, so I have this really cool firewall that tells me anytime something tries to access the internet. That way I can supposedly stop things from accessing it that shouldn't. Sounds great! My problem though is that I can't really tell when something trying to access the net is good or bad. The names of the files are often obscure and if I don't recognize them they get blocked, but then I find out later that it's legit and I have to go through a huge to do to make the program I just broke work right again. So my question if you haven't already guessed is this:
How can I tell when the program trying to access the internet is legit?

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Google the file name thats trying to access the internet before you just click block. Google will tell you what program the file belongs to, then you can decide if you want it to have access or not.

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
OK, I feel stupid, I use Google for everything else, why not that.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Remember the immortal phase:

Google knows all. :)

Having said that, any decent firewall software will know what's good and what's bad on the auto-permissions front.