Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS XP LOGGING IN AND OUT

• Please log in to reply

owat215

owat215

• Pip
  • 5 posts
HEY, I HAVE A PROBELM WITH MY DELL ISPIRION NOTEBOOK. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME I TURNED MY COMPUTER OFF LAST NIGHT. THIS MORNING I TURNED THE COMPUTER ON AND NOTICED THAT THE COMPUTER WAS TURNING ON SLOWER THEN NORMALLY. I DIDNT THINK ANYTHING WAS WRONG SO I USED IT. I LEFT THE COMPUTER ON AND SUDDENLY THE COMPUTER CRASHED AND DID A PHYSICAL MEMORY PURGE. AFTER I RESTARTED THE COMPUTER AND IT RESTARTED FINE, BUT SLOW AGAIN. I DECIDED TO GO TO MSCONFIG TO CHANGE THE SETTING FROM SELECTIVE STARTUP TO NORMAL STARTUP TO MAKE SURE CERTAIN FILES WERENT MESSED UP. AFTER I SAW THAT THE COMPUTER WAS WORKING FINE, I DECIDED TO GO BACK TO SELECTIVE SETUP AND WENT TO STARTUP AND CHANGED THE SETTINGS SO THAT IT WOULD START UP FASTER LIKE BEFORE. AFTER DOING SO I RESTARTED THE COMPUTER AND THEN THE PROBELMS BEGAN. IT REBOOTED BUT THEN THE CHECK DISK TURNED ON SAYING THE FILE VOLUME WAS DIRTY AND MADE CORRECTIONS TO THE OS. AFTER THAT THE COMPUTER WOULD NOT LET ME LOG INTO WINDOWS. I'VE TRIED LOGGIN TO SAFE MODE AND LAST KNOWN GOOD STARTUP AND THEY ALL DONT WORK. SO I AM STUCK IN THE LOG IN SCREEN AND ALL DIFFERENT ACCOUNTS WONT LET ME LOG IN...NOT EVEN ADMINISTRATOR WORKS.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME...I DONT WANNA LOOSE ANY OF MY MEMORY.

I HEARD THAT THE WINDOWS XP DISK MIGHT WORK, BUT I CANT FIND MINE

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Argh, my ears!
Please don't type in all capital letters, it gives the impression that you're shouting :)

Your symptoms are a sign of a potentially dying hard drive so a Windows Repair will most likely be a short-term solution. You'll need to find or borrow an XP CD for the version of Windows on the laptop (see the product key on the bottom of the laptop, it'll say XP Home or XP Professional. You'll need an appropriate CD in order to perform a Windows Repair).

owat215

owat215

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for the help. i will try to find a windows xp disk to fix it. hopefully my harddrive isnt dying like you said, but i guess if it is, then it is. thanks for the help, i'll let you know if the problem persists.

owat215

owat215

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i was able to fix it, thanks for the help.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Mind telling us how you fixed it?

owat215

owat215

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i had to reinstall windows xp into the system. i ran the repair, but it didnt work so i decides to reinstall the whole windows program. to make sure i didnt loose any information, i removed my hard drive and bought an external case for it. i backed the files into another computer. after i fixed the laptop i moved all the documents back into the laptop. took some time, but at least i didnt loose anything important.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Excellent job, thanks for letting us know!