Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory could not be "written" errors

• Please log in to reply

theZaij

theZaij

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, for the last month or two I've been getting "memory could not be "written"" errors for a few of my games. I suspected my RAM at first so I tried each stick separately but kept on getting the same errors.

An example:

When connecting to my friends battle.net server with Frozen Throne 1.21 then I had no problems, however 1.21b causes this error:

Application popup: Warcraft III: War3.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x6d9ab32f" referenced memory at "0x6d9ab32f". The memory could not be "written".

Note that this is only for connecting to his bnet, not for if we play battlelan games (in which everything is fine)

With Starcraft:

Application popup: Brood War: Starcraft.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x00bd0078" referenced memory at "0x00bd0078". The memory could not be "written".

With Winamp:

Application popup: Notifier: winamp.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x13b29a5a" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

With Fifa08

Application popup: FIFA 08: FIFA08.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x005c659f" referenced memory at "0x00000020". The memory could not be "read".

With Windows Media Player Classic:

Application popup: mplayerc.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x66c040c3" referenced memory at "0x02936500". The memory could not be "written".

With CnC Generals:

Application popup: Generals.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x66783c9c" referenced memory at "0x00a7e000". The memory could not be "read".

With Counter-Strike I've gotten half a dozen different ones

Please also note that fifa 08, windows media player classic and winamp all currently work for some reason

I've picked all of these out of event viewer, but it's really starting to bug me. I've been told that if it were the memory in my Graphics Card I'd be getting artifacts, and as I tried each memory stick seperately I don't think it's my ram.

I'm running windows XP SP2
Conroe E6600
2gb DDR2
Asus p5b-e motherboard
Asus 8800GT

Thanks in advance,
Tristan.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: You said it started a month or two ago. Did you install/uninstall any software/hardware after which the problem started?

2: Is the computer overclocked? If yes, set the BIOS to default values.

3: Use the link in my list of programs, below, to download Microsoft Memory diagnostic tool. Follow the instructions, create a bootable CD and run a test at least for an hour. Please report if there are any errors.

4: You can use this useful link to analyze game crashes.

theZaij

theZaij

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've installed and uninstalled a few games since then, but I can remember playing around a lot with .net framework, installing and uninstalling various versions trying to get one program or other to work. The computer isn't overclocked.

Is it possible to make a bootable USB stick? I don't have any cds/dvds to burn it onto.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I doubt if it's possible. You have to alternatives: either to create a bootable CD or save the image file to your hard disk and burn it to a CD. I don't know of programs that can burn an image to flash memory.

MAD 4 Brood War

MAD 4 Brood War

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I doubt if it's possible. You have to alternatives: either to create a bootable CD or save the image file to your hard disk and burn it to a CD. I don't know of programs that can burn an image to flash memory.

You have the same problem as me :) i always get the pop up memory could not be written.....and my game crashes..usely in a tounament :) :)