Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disappearing Text and loosing part of web site

• Please log in to reply

meevans3

meevans3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I have Windows XP 5 with Service Pack 2, IE 7, and Microsoft Outlook 2003. After I have been on my computer for a few moments, I start experiencing missing text and web page disappearing as if the text was removed from parts the page. It can be in whatever application I'm using at the time ... Outlook, IE,. I normally reboot and it will usually correct the problem but now it's happening more frequently. Can you please tell me what is causing this? I've done several virus scan (I have Trend Micro Security 8) and it's updated. I have also checked my windows updates - no issues.

Also, when I try to shut down or restart the computer, part of the dialog box is missing the text as well and then I'm forced to do a hard shut down.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Sinfamous

Sinfamous

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Have you followed these steps already?

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

meevans3

meevans3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I did and I have also sent the hijackthis log to Microtrend Tech Support. They were unable to determine a fix. After I did a few steps from them as well. I ran a complete scan again. Nothing defected. Went back to IE and Outlook, within minutes, the text started disappearing again. If I take my cursor, I could highlight parts of the page to read the missing text. I also checked my task manager to see what was running at the time I noticed the text disappear ... CSRSS.exe, Tmbsrv.exe, and SfCtlcom.exe were the only items running. I rebooted the computer and was able to read my email and view web pages. It just getting frustrating that I keep having to reboot or close out in order to view mail or web pages.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

meevans3

meevans3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
log removed

Edited by meevans3, 01 May 2008 - 12:38 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Please edit your post and remove the HJT log. They are not analyzed here, only in the malware forum.

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try the following:

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then boot to Safe Mode.

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab then the Disable All button.
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best. Enable everything else you disabled.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.

If it's the same in Safe Mode then try installing a newer or older video driver.

drkzwrt

drkzwrt

• Pip
  • 1 posts

log removed

I have this problem too. It is very annoying. If you are quick enough and don't type another character, you can press CTRL Y and get your text back. When Trend Micro was removed from this computer the problem stopped. Now two weeks later when the software was reinstalled the problem started instantly.