Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq Deskpro EN

• Please log in to reply

Area 51

Area 51

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
The pc is a Compaq Deskpro EN with 98SE, 64 memory, 10 GB Maxtor, Celeron processor, floppy drive only. When you turn it on it displays "Non-System disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready". What does this mean?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It means the hard drive can't be accessed. Put in a boot floppy and see if it boots OK and migrate to the hard drive and try to see it with fdisk. Some of those old Maxtor drives weren't very reliable, about half of the ones I see are dead. And if you can, try to get more memory for it, you need at least twice that to prevent the use of swap which wears out the hard drive.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You may want to test the maxtor disk with their own diagnostic tool which runs from a bootable floppy.
I agree wholeheartedly with Tyger's remarks about their reliability (before Seagate bought the company).
I've had two of them fail very early in their life so I avoid them now. Problem is they are often considerably
cheaper than other brands which is why system builders fitted them to maximise their profits.

You can download the maxtor diagnostic tool Seatools for DOS from here:
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

In addition to the above, it can also simply mean you left a floppy in your a: drive. Make sure there is nothing in your floppy drive when you boot up.

Murray

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Boot disk didn't do anything for it. I have a 80 GB Seagate, could I put it in there and what else will I have to do?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sure you can put it in, the BIOS may not be able to see it but the software on the Seagate CD should be able to. You may need to temporarily set the jumper to the 32gb position and use the Seagate software to format it. If you don't have the software you can download it from the Seagate site and burn it to a CD. Once you've formatted it Windows won't have any problems with it and if you have to you can put overlay software on the boot partition to overcome any BIOS limitations. It sounds complicated but it really isn't, just a couple of extra steps to take.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I don't have an 98SE install disk, only a boot one.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I don't have an 98SE install disk, only a boot one.

Where is your 98SE cd?

Murray

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I don't have one for it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I don't have one for it.

Didn't answer my question. Where is it? How did you install Win98 on the system?

Murray

Advertisements

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I didn't install it, I don't have a install disk for it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Then where did you get the computer from.

They were legally required to provide you with the cd or a means of making a Restore/Recovery cd.

Murray

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
My brother bought it a few months ago at a yard sale somewhere, there was no disks with it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay. Without it, you are going to have a very difficult time repairing your install.

Did you use the Seagate hdd diagnostics disk as mentioned earlier - NOT the Win98SE bootdisk.

Murray

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
No, I tried the harddrive that was in it and I ran the Fdisk. So now I don't have an OS it says.