Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual booting- need some advice

• Please log in to reply

N3TH

N3TH

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Due to Vista's serious lack of drivers for old software (and being a tad slow at times) i have wondered if it was worth installing XP on a separate 40Gb HDD.... can that work? If so what must I do?

any advice appreciated!

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I haven't done a dual boot of xp and vista but I found this tutorial online. Ensure you back up your files first in case something wrong happens.
Another tutorial.

Kamille

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks! That tutorial is really good and simple. Only problem is Vista wont let me partition my hard drive any more that 1304mb.... even though i have plenty of free space left, it says if i remove page files i can make it bigger.... but what are page files?

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Another question. If I plug in an additional hard drive, install vista and xp on that one, with a partition of course, and set it as the drive to boot from.... will that work?