Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

which antivirus/spyware/malware [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jayboy1000

jayboy1000

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi guys,
I've used avast as my antivirus for some time now (free version), Spyware doctor and I use registry mechanic to keep things in order. My son seems to download various problems to keep these programs busy. I came across a dialer that wouldn't budge and through forums used dr. web cure it. I then went on to purchase dr web full version which discoverd a host of new problems that my other programs had not found or chosen to ignore. I realise that dr web can't seemingly operate whilst avast is .(causes email problems). So..... I'm not sure what to keep permanently running, what to use occasionally and what to lose.
I partly looked through your protection info and have subsequently downloaded spyware blaster. Currently I have avast and spyware doctor switched off and am looking for some guidance and possibly alternative suggestion.
I'm sure everybody has their own favourites .... I'm running xp , my son loves p2p ,m what to do?

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

You should have all those running all the time. SpywareBlaster is usually just a update thing....and then you close it. For Dr. WebCureIt, I think that's not real-time either. So if you do need to run it, just disable Avast. The rest should stay.

We recommend staying away from P2P due to the various problems that you might have expected from using them...

Are you having any problems in specific now or just have that general question? If you want, you can also try using AVG Antivirus and uninstall Avast to see if it works better with Dr. WebCureIt.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.