Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running Visio 5.0 Technical with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

tips6

tips6

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

I'm looking at purchasing either the Visio 5.0 Technical Edition software package or the MS Visio 2000 Technical Edition software package from the US (I'm based in the UK), but I wondered if someone would be kind enough to confirm for me before I buy it, whether or not it would work on my computer, which has the Windows XP O/S.

I saw in another thread that Visio 5.0 Technical might not work when used with the Windows XP service pack 2. This might be a stupid question, but how would I find out if my computer uses XP SP-2???

Many thanks,

Regards,

Matt

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Neither MS Visio 2000 Technical Edition nor Visio 5.0 require SP2 -- in fact they don't even need XP at all since they'll happily run on Windows 98.
That fact alone means they don't need SP2 when used on XP.

To find out if your PC has Service Pack 2, (even though it's not required you might still want to know) do this:

1. Open 'Control Panel'
2. On the left, change it to "Classic View" if it's in "Category View".
3. Click the "System" icon.
4. Under the "General" tab, at the top, it will say "Service Pack 2" if that's what you have.

Edited by pip22, 27 April 2008 - 06:20 PM.

tips6

tips6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Pip,

Thank you for reply. I sort of understand what your implying, although as my knowledge of computer systems is below-average, it does take a little longer than most.

I went onto the General Tab in the System folder, and the computer (laptop actually), which I intend to run Visio 5.0 Technical or MS Visio 2000 Technical on, says that I have Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002. It doesn't mention anything about any Service Pack(s)?

I also have an office desktop computer, which says that it uses Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2???

Should the Visio 5.0 Technical and/or MS Visio 2000 Technical software packages work on both of these or not?

Thanks again,

Regards,

Matt