Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

malware removal [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Intriguing could you re-run DSS and see if that creates a restore point

Advertisements

jayboy1000

jayboy1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No good....it sats system restore is unable to create a restore point ....please reboot and try again. I've enclosed the new dss file.(if it's of any use,) I'm begining to consider trying to save as much data as possible and starting from scratch.....what do you think?

Attached Files

• Attached File  main.txt   25.32KB   137 downloads
  • Attached File  main.txt   25.32KB   117 downloads

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Better idea lets re-install system restore

Enable hidden and system files in Explorer if you haven't done so already. To do this, open Control Panel | Folder Options | View, and in Advanced Settings under Hidden Files and Folders, select "Show hidden files and folders," Below that, uncheck "Hide protected operating system files." (You will probably want to restore this option later.)

From Start | Run, type %SystemRoot%\inf and press Enter.
Find the file named sr.inf. Right click on it and select Install.
You may be prompted for your Windows installation media, or a directory on your hard drive that has the \i386 folder. If you installed Service Pack 2 (as opposed to installing a version of Windows XP with SP2 preinstalled), use the folder %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\i386 .

Let me know how that goes - it should take no more than 10 minutes

%SystemRoot% is C:\windows

jayboy1000

jayboy1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,
after finding sr.inf.and r clicking to install I was prompted by the box.... I typed in %systemroot%\servivepackfiles\i386 hit return ... nothing happend . I assume it didn't find anything or i'm doing something wrong ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Looks like a spelling error there %systemroot%\servivepackfiles\i386

It should be %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\i386

Could you check that you spelt it right

jayboy1000

jayboy1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry for the last post,,,,The only speeling error (and case error) was there. I type in the info and then a further box requires me to choose a file in which the afore mentioned may be found. It then tells me that the file does not exist. ...... hmmmm.

jayboy1000

jayboy1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Are you still about Essex.... We appear to have lost contact. I was bombarded with email. due to an option error on my part so I/ve had to spam g2g email to allow my business to function. I can't find you on this thread.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yep sure am I am on GMT though. Can you manually locate that folder on your system ?

Next we will try this

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

jayboy1000

jayboy1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok Essex..... ran that . No indication or notification that it had completed though. Rebooted ... checked to try and create a restore point. Still not possible.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK I will not surrender - MS has a guided help/fix tool at this location. Could you try it and let me know the result http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

Advertisements

jayboy1000

jayboy1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
oK Essex......result. Simply turned system restore off and on and now we have a restore point.( all the others have been deleted though right?) And Hey... I named it after you buddy!!
Now we have a restore point do we have more to do?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Hey... I named it after you buddy!!

Ahh how sweet :)

Yes just one more thing .......

Keep safe :)

jayboy1000

jayboy1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks sooooo... much for your coninued support. Paypal will be hearing from me. I'm makkes me feel better to know that there's good people like you kicking around.Love you lot's.
jay

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Thank you so much more for the kind words than Paypal as that is what makes it all worth while.

I was glad to be of assistance :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.