Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive skipping

• Please log in to reply

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
i have windows xp pro. basically i installed a handfull of programs without restarting my computer until after i installed them all. now it takes longer than 5 minutes for my computer to start up, where as it use to take under a minute, and when it dose, everything is so slowed/delayed. if i double click an icon it takes about a minute for the program to respond. its seems like the hard drive is skipping or something. anyone have this happen to them. i tried system restore, nothing. need some serious help. thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello RyMaster17...

Sounds like your machine is using the wrong transfer mode.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Transfer Mode and the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Transfer Mode and the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
situation got worse. computer will not start now, says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

sounds like this might be a problem if i can't find my CD.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Might be the hard drive going bad...

Download RC.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning tool like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on. This is Recovery Console only.

Boot from the RC.iso CD.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start Recovery Console. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter".

When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r) The disk check operation will start.

This will be a very thorough check of the hard drive and the file system...be patient and let it complete. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this check...it may take longer in some cases.

Once the check completes and you are back at the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Let your computer boot normally to Windows.

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
tried what you suggested. now i get the following message.

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quite Setup, press F3"

Edit: oh wait the setup says windows xp home edition. i have windows xp professional edition. dose that make a difference? is there a RC for xp pro edition?

Edited by RyMaster17, 28 April 2008 - 10:58 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The RC.iso will work with either Home or Pro editions of XP.

Sounds like the HDD has gone south on you. Have you been inside the case lately where you might have bumped a cable loose?

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
not to my knowledge. sounds like i'm SOL.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does the drive show in BIOS setup?

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
yeah, i can get to BIOS. thats pretty much it though.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is your hard drive recognized in BIOS? It should show as the Primary Master HDD.

Advertisements

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
under which setting?

i see something under the 'Main' tab that shows 'Primary Storage'. is that what you're talking about?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It would be under the Main section, but it should be listed as Primary IDE Master (at least in most BIOS versions) and would have the manufacturer and device ID number to the right of it.

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
on this version it says Primary Storage and there is an ID number next to it. so i guess the answer would be yeah.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmm....

If that's it, then Windows (or RC.iso) should be able to see it, as well.

When you boot to the RC.iso disk, what is the last screen you can get to? Just a basic description will suffice...I'm familiar with the screens.

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Welcome to Setup.
-to set up xp press enter
-to repair xp press r
-toe quit press F3

when i press r, i get the setup did not find any hard disk drives message.