Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep Disconnected

• Please log in to reply

ronbc

ronbc

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi there,

I have no idea what's wrong with my computer.
The situation is, I'm using an ASUS laptop with Windows XP.
My Internet is ADSL Wireless (WLAN)

The Internet connection keeps disconnected without any reason.
And the Wireless cannot be Repair-ed (From the Disable, Repair, View Wireless Networks popup command)

Everytime I repair it, it ends up being stuck in the 'Disabling Network Adapter'
If I leave it, the Windows restarts by itself due to unknown error.

Please help.
What should I do?

Kind regard,
Ron

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
1. See if there is a software/driver update for the wireless adapter on the adapter manufacturer's website.

2. Try setting the router to a different (usually higher is best) wireless channel.

3. Make sure the router's wireless configuration settings (usually accessed via an embedded web page) do not have any settings or modes
enabled that the wireless adapter does not support.

Edited by pip22, 28 April 2008 - 06:51 AM.

ronbc

ronbc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

1. See if there is a software/driver update for the wireless adapter on the adapter manufacturer's website.

There is no driver update.

This happens after my computer is infected with Virtumonde virus.
But now it has been fixed, thanks to Rors in this forum.

2. Try setting the router to a different (usually higher is best) wireless channel.

3. Make sure the router's wireless configuration settings (usually accessed via an embedded web page) do not have any settings or modes
enabled that the wireless adapter does not support.

I am not sure how I do this :)
Could you please be more basic?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

ronbc

ronbc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok.

I have resetted those two.

I'll tell you if this problem still happens.