Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"All Programs" listing from Start button too full

• Please log in to reply

Noteman42

Noteman42

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Over the years I've installed a LOT of program on my computer... Some of them I use very rarely, but I don't want to remove them, because I still do (or may!) want to use them.

When I click on Start and then on "All Programs," I get a pop-up list that is so large, and so full of program listings, that it runs off the end of my screen on the right. (There are 3 columns visible, but the list runs to at least 4 and maybe more columns) But it is not scrollable, which means that any new programs I add are not accessible by this means.

Is there a solution to this problem? Can I arrange to scroll the All Programs screen? Can I arrange to group certain kinds of programs together in a single folder that will open if I click on it (or hover the mouse over it) the way Microsoft Office does (only with my own grouping into my own useful categories)?

Or if neither of the above options works, is there some other way that I can easily get access to all my installed programs in one place?

Thanks for suggestions!

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Right click Start>>Properties>>Start Menu>>Customize

Check 'Scroll Programs'

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi Noteman42, welcome to G2G.

There are a couple things you can do. The first would be to right click on the programs that have long names in the Start menu and shorten them. For instance

Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2 to Adobe Photo 3.2

Doing this on the really long names will most likely allow all your installed software to be viewable again.

... or, right click on the Start button and select Properties. Click on the Customize button. Scroll down to the bottom and check Use Personalized Menus. That will make them scrollable, but it will get old real quick, having to scroll for every program you start from there.

I find it hard to believe that there are that many programs you many want to use, but that's what makes the world go round :)

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
You can also create folders for like programs.

Right click on Start and select 'Explore All Users'.

Highlight 'Programs' under 'Start Menu'.

Click on 'File' and select New>>Folder.

Name the folder what you want such as 'File-Disk Management', 'Browsers', etc.

You can then drag and drop entries into the folders.

After you have created your folders and placed items in them, go to Start>>All Programs.

Hover your pointer over the folder, right click on an entry and select "Sort by Name' to put things in alphabetical order.