Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet is very, very slow

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
SpywareGuard can cause slowdowns...uninstall it... reboot...you can always reinstall it

Advertisements

roobyroob

roobyroob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks to all of you who have helped, my internet is running a lot faster now only the other two computers downstairs are still just as slow, should I do seperate scans for each of them or could I do to them what I did to this computer?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try the same approach with them that you id with this one. If that doesn't work then post back here.

roobyroob

roobyroob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ok so although I thought the problem with my slow internet was fixed it appears I was wrong. Web pages are taking sometimes up to half an hour to load still.

dell4555

dell4555

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If your internet can make it, go to speedtest.com to see if its your internet speeds or your computer causing the trouble.

roobyroob

roobyroob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
http://www.speedtest...t/269877020.png

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try creating another user account...see if it has problems...

roobyroob

roobyroob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yup, same problems. I think my problems occur when the computer downstairs is on which is a vista. Right now my internet is running perfectly but this is the only computer turned on at the moment.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
has anyone there tried controlling the bandwidth for the computers thru the router...info here
people use these kind of things when they share a connection with roommates and one or more are into the P2P thing...
IE..lots of large file downloads...bit torrent...you can throttle their connection speed so they don't/can't hog all the bandwidth...

Edited by happyrck, 16 May 2008 - 09:41 AM.

roobyroob

roobyroob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
We havent tried that but we will. I've realised that I cant pin point my internet problems to any one thing. The other day I put it down to the vista being turned on but now, no computer except this one is turned on and the internet once again is very slow.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then it has to be your isp...try doing a speedtest here the next time its slow...get a screenshot of your results and post it back here and contact your isp

roobyroob

roobyroob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Could I use any of those speed tests though since I live in the UK?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can't hurt to try them...also try here ...its for the UK

roobyroob

roobyroob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
It's typical that when I'm waiting for it to go slow it doesnt lol Now though the internets taken to disconnecting completely, not sure if the problems related or not though.

roobyroob

roobyroob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I've noticed since I've made these changes that when I turn my computer on, my internet isnt connected and I have to remove the wireless plug in and put it back in again before it connects whereas before I'd turn my computer on and be connected. This is small I know and I can live with it but does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this?