Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean install - ME or XP?

• Please log in to reply

billywhizz

billywhizz

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi,

I'm getting fed up with continual trojans which keep reappearing - seems to have messed up my registry. I'd like to do a clean install of win me, how do I go about this from scratch? Would it be easier to upgrade to XP, and if I do this, will I be able to reformat at the same time? I have the original OEM Dell Win ME CD and the resource discs.

Thanks
Ian.

Advertisements

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hey,

The best way to get ride of those nasty troj forever is to reformat your drive. The only problem is that you'll wipe everything off the hd. If you want to know how to reformat and install a New OS, tell me and I'll walk you through it. otherwise, get a spyware prog like spybot and bullgaurd. And get a good virus protection prog. The best to me is Pc cillian. If your looking to spend no money, then do a google for AVG. It's a free virus protection thats pretty nice. I would also look into AdAware. I haven't really used it a lot, but it's said to be the spyware blocker to get. Let me know what you want to do

David

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
As David, it's up to you....if you really want to start from scratch, a Winme boot disk will get you to an a:\ where you type
format c:

This blanks your drive

Then simply install as if it's a brand new machine

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Thanks

That pretty much sums up what I was gonna say. Google out a WinMe disk. Don't forget though that after a format...you have to set a partition and activate it. So use a prog like Fdisk to set your partitions up. It should be on your boot disk as A:\fdisk.exe . Run through the create new partition step, lable your HD. and reset. Afterwards, run Fdisk again and select the activate partition tab. You must activate the partition before you can use it. Finally, restart and run your ME disk. It'll be something like D:/setup.exe or E:/setup.exe. Good luck

David

If you need any help, just post

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
That is not correct.

You should not have to run fdisk to set a partition as active after a format. Format does not impact the status of the active partition unless something horribly wrong occurs.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Thanks

That pretty much sums up what I was gonna say. Google out a WinMe disk. Don't forget though that after a format...you have to set a partition and activate it. So use a prog like Fdisk to set your partitions up. It should be on your boot disk as A:\fdisk.exe . Run through the create new partition step, lable your HD. and reset. Afterwards, run Fdisk again and select the activate partition tab. You must activate the partition before you can use it. Finally, restart and run your ME disk. It'll be something like D:/setup.exe or E:/setup.exe. Good luck
David

If you need any help, just post

View Post

technogeek: gerryf is right.. If you fdisk after a format, you will have to format all over again.. All you do is use fdsik to set a "primary DOS Partition".. it will ask if you want to make that partition active.. Once fdisk is done setting up the partition, that partition will have to be formatted in order to be used.. So, formatting takes place AFTER you fdisk, not fdisk after you format..

Murray

billywhizz

billywhizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks guys,

Hence my question! I've used all the spyware tools but each time I go onto the net, I get the ABOUT BLANK nonsense back again within 2 minutes. It drops the se.dll file in the windows/temp folder and off we go again. I HJT every time, Spybot and adaware but still it returns. If anyone can talk me through a clean install I'd appreciate it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if that is your only issue, please visit the forum in my signature and they will help you remove that

billywhizz

billywhizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Log posted but no reply from the first one some time ago. Is it OK to post again?

I'd still like to try to reformat if you could help.

Cheers.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just substitute ME for Win98 in the following..

http://www.geekstogo...s_98-t9803.html

Murray

Advertisements

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Thanks for the correction. I must of just been getting ahead of myself when I was typing. You partition then format, not format then partition. I must of been thinking to fast and not paying attention to everything I was writing. Thanks again for correcting me. That's what I meant to say.

Dave

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
:tazz: No problem Dave.. wouldn't be the first time my fingers kicked in before my brain did either !!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 26 April 2005 - 08:01 PM.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
K

If you need any more help or a deeper reformate/installation guide, check out the topic I posted in the hardware section labled the in depth format HD/ Installing new OS guide. I just posted it so it should be on the first or second page in. By the way, Xp all the way in comparison to OS systems. ME was such a buggy OS that some guys I knew, uninstalled ME and put back 98 when that's all that was availble. XP by a long shot. Gaming and networking is the worst thing to try to configure in ME. Good luck

David

AlexR

AlexR

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

By the way, Xp all the way in comparison to OS systems. ME was such a buggy OS that some guys I knew, uninstalled ME and put back 98 when that's all that was availble. XP by a long shot. Gaming and networking is the worst thing to try to configure in ME. Good luck

David

View Post

I entirely agree. I used ME once for about a week and a half, went straight back to 98 SE and all my problems cleared up! Definitely go with XP if you possibly can, but it may put a strain on some of your resources depending on how old your PC is.

billywhizz

billywhizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks guys,

Have just gone through the malware forum and got some real good help. Also bought a new firewall / AV and seems OK. Will probably upgrade to XP soon though.

Many thanks for all your help.