Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Takeing Vista OFF`

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
ok Vista or Xp?

VISTA SUCKS BIG HUGE TIME! I have heard WAY WAY WAY tomany bad things about vista. Xp comes out the SP3 tomarrow. So I bought a new laptop that was on sale at bestbuy, I got a good deal, but its got stupid vista on it.... is it wise to remove vista and put XP on?

If so... HOW do I do it?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

First of all, I suggest you make sure there are even XP drivers available for it.

I just purchased a new Compaq laptop and the ONLY XP drivers available were for the touchpad.. No ethernet, video, sound, etc. nanda.

Murray

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Yea I just got a presario F700.... i cant seem to find the drivers for it either.... GGGRRRR stupid microsoft is takeing over the WORLD

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
How about blaming the "Big Name Company" with presario F700?

It's not Vista or MS's fault.... it's the company (Compaq or HP?) who didn't bother to make sure their apps and drivers work with the Vista OS before putting the machine on the market.

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

ok Vista or Xp?

VISTA SUCKS BIG HUGE TIME! I have heard WAY WAY WAY tomany bad things about vista. Xp comes out the SP3 tomarrow. So I bought a new laptop that was on sale at bestbuy, I got a good deal, but its got stupid vista on it.... is it wise to remove vista and put XP on?

If so... HOW do I do it?

u heard bad things about vista? have you tried it. I have it and its great runs fast, had no compatibility probs yet.

i think you should try it b4 you think about going through the trouble of switching to xp.

And one thing that helps is if u have at least 2g of ram

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Thats the thing, I have been useing Vista for about a day now... and OMG I so hate it. Its slow and bothersome! IE is giveing me [bleep] and some of the built in things vista has are driveing me NUTS... There should be a way to roll back vista to work the way XP did. YOu know kinda like XP could look like windows classic... lol

going from xp to vista is like it was when going from 3.11 to 95... just a BIG SHOCK to how things work! lol

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I'd give it more than a day before you make up your mind... I know when I was running 98 "back in the day" and my friend just got XP on his computer, I hated it. Why? Because I wasn't used to it and had spent very little time with it. I think XP is great now and I'm sure I'll go through the same thing with Vista except I'll have a much more open mind this time around. After a few weeks of looking around and figuring everything out, you might start to like it more.

Also, why would you use IE other than to download FF? lol.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Well I have played with vista, and there is just WAY WAY to much WRONG with it... dont get me wrong.. there are a few nice toys with it... but I just dont like it. Besides they said they will support XP till windows 7 comes out... then i might switch to vista... they just need to get a lot more bugs worked out of it... it will happen, just not today!

As for IE, I have tried firefox, and its nice, but im used to IE and I like it... lol

Thanks for all the help folks, but I was able to get HP to give me a direct links to all the drivers I will need for my model in XP....

also for the person that has/had same issue.. please message me or something I have some info for you about how to get XP on there.. with allthe drivers :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Strange how people say they don't like Vista or Mac or Linux
It is a matter of what you get used to. If a machine is built for vista it will work fine. All you have to do is turn off the annoying pop up asking if you wanted to run that program or that action.

I think the main problem is most machines are not built to the correct specs.
Try a minimum of 2 gig of ram and a video card with ram on board and there is not much to dislike about vista.
it's main hassle in my opion is you have to upgrade to much software a cost I for one cannot afford.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
well I do have 2gig of ram and a geforce 7000M

I doubt that someone who makes a computer would not put in enough stuff to run it properlly.. but alas... they do

I just HATE vista... its to new. I wanted to upgrade right before vista came out... but didnt have the cash... I did now, and it just took a little more work to get my xp machine back I will let you all know how it goes in about a week.. when I have time to sit down and do it this weekend :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
why don't you make it a dual boot so you can play with vista
use xp for everyday and boot to vista for pratice

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
How do I set that up? Do I still need the XP drivers for that?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Step by step instructions:
http://www.howtogeek...vista-computer/

How to set the 'default OS'
http://www.howtogeek...ual-boot-setup/

Dell01

Dell01

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just got a laptop last week and I don't have any problems with Vista. Well at least not yet. My brother told me to put XP on but I said no. So if you want to delete Vista. I think you should use "Boot and Nuke". Which one? Well their are a lot of versions and their not much of a difference. :)

Edited by Dell01, 29 April 2008 - 09:23 PM.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Thanks for all the help! Please leave this posting up for a few days for me to get all info... lol