Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB key not recognised

• Please log in to reply

CH2008

CH2008

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Guys,

First post here and hope you can help. I have a 256MB Usb used for college stuff (projects etc) and it has been working properly until today. I didnt drop it or anything, it has just stopped working.
Normally when i plug in my photos pop up or if i go to My Computer the name of it comes up. Now when I plug it in Removable disk (E:) comes up and if i click on it there is nothing there. It recognises that hardware has been added as the icon for safely removing hardware on bottom right of screen appears when i plug it in.

When i look at the properties it says 0 bytes of used space and 0 bytes of free space. Tried it on different ports and computers but same thing is happening.

Please help

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Try re-formatting it in Windows if it shows up as a drive letter. In 'My Computer', right-click -->Format.
Do not enable 'Quick Format' in the formatting dialog as it will probably need a full format to fix it properly.
Obviously you will lose any existing data on it but that may be the price you have to pay to get it working.

Personally I would no longer trust it now and I would replace it, even if the format fixes it. It's happened once already
so every reason to expect it will happen it again.